Liquid cool CPU and GPU recommendation

Hamda

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
hello guys
i currently have an i7-4790k OCed to 4.7GHz on hyper 212 evo. Temps are OK in the 70s with rog real bench. I also have a 980 ti and looking forward to water cool it with an AIO cpu cooler with a kraken bracket.
so im planing to buy a used corsair h55 and kraken g10 both for 50$ and a new Tt water 3.0 360mm rad for 120$. both coolers support kraken g10 gpu bracket.
my question is: which cooler cooler should be placed on cpu and which on the gpu?

specs:
msi z87-G45
evga 980 ti sc with bp
i7-4790k hyper 212 evo
Tt 1200 watt psu
NZXT H440 case

Solution
I would go with the 360mm on the CPU, but if you aren't planning on taking the CPU any further and the temperatures are okay now. You could use the 360mm on the GPU. You could keep the H55 as a spare.

GPUs have the advantage that they are direct die cooling and have a much larger surface area compared to CPUs. That is why you see the hybrid coolers from the OEMs only using 120mm radiators. They are enough to cool the GPU alone.

An h55 wouldn't be much better than the evo 212 for the CPU. Roughly the same surface area.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
An oddly matched pair to be sure. Typically a 120mm radiator is enough for a GPU. The bracket takes care of the VRMs on the card, but then you basically have nothing cooling the memory. So they aren't ideal.

I would say use the 360mm on the CPU, but that is overkill. 4.7Ghz with an Evo 212 is quite good. Unless you are just really wanting to knock 10C off the top it it will be a very expensive upgrade.

Have you considered taking that money and investing in a full cover GPU block, pump/res combo, and radiator? Would certainly get more gaming performance gains from GPU overclocking then you would making the CPU a little cooler. EK has some decent kits for that.

Of you can see what I did in my build with a Swiftech H240-X. Basically a full custom CPU cooling system that you can expand with more radiators and components.

Hamda

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

i will use small heatsinks for the memory, so it ont be a problem/
so you suggest keeping the 212 evo on the cpu and only custom liquid cool the gpu?
but would it be much cheaper going with a gpu bracket?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on how you look at it. A GPU block is fairly expensive, but will cool the entire card. A discrete radiator is moderately expensive. Pump/res can be quite expensive.

Once you have all that, a CPU block is just that much more.

But if you aren't having temperature problems with the CPU, not much point to getting a very expensive 360mm All-In-One to cool a component that doesn't really need it.

Basically a minimum cost to entry. You are wanting to spend $170 and making a compromise to cool the CPU or GPU. If you drop the Thermaltake, you are looking at only $50 to cool the GPU.

On the other hand. If you want to water cool the CPU and GPU, I think that money is better spent on investing in proper water cooling. Anytime you use more than one all-in-one cooler things start to get a little weird.

Hamda

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would go with the 360mm on the CPU, but if you aren't planning on taking the CPU any further and the temperatures are okay now. You could use the 360mm on the GPU. You could keep the H55 as a spare.

GPUs have the advantage that they are direct die cooling and have a much larger surface area compared to CPUs. That is why you see the hybrid coolers from the OEMs only using 120mm radiators. They are enough to cool the GPU alone.

An h55 wouldn't be much better than the evo 212 for the CPU. Roughly the same surface area.

Solution

Hamda

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
in my area (in Lebanon) custom liquid cooling stuff isnt available. So the only way to buy the stuff i need is from usa and ship to lebanon which will cost alot of money to cool the cpu and gpu (600 to 700$).
or just spend 170$ on AIO with a gpu bracket and would cool the components fair enough.
but the biggest question would be: 360mm AIO on cpu or gpu?

Hamda

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

360mm on the gpu some heatsinks and overclock.
i'll try stress test the cpu on the 120mm rad vs the evo 212 and judge.

TRENDING THREADS