Question Liquid coolant changing colour

4kwolf

Commendable
Nov 27, 2020
I have a custom rig which I ordered for cybersystems uk. Great system working flawlessly. The only issue that I have is that the coolant in my system is changing colour. Out of nowhere I checked one morning and it turned from green to white. Its created a sort of skin on the reservoir. Just the idea to having to flush the system is already building anxiety. Apart from this the liquid for the most part its original colour.

My question is what damage could be caused and any information is generally very welcome.

Update:
  • *BASE_PRICE: [+3629]
  • BLUETOOTH: None Selected
  • CS_FAN: Corsair iCue Intelligent RGB x9 LL120 Fan & Lighting Kit [+199]
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9960X Processor - 16-Core HT 3.10GHz, 4.40 GHz Turbo - 22.00MB Intel Smart Cache (Quad Channel), Extreme OC Compatible [+287]
  • CPNR1: Cyberpower Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts -- reducing the noise transmitted from Fans [+9]
  • COOL2: None Selected
  • COOL: EK-CryoFuel Solid Neon Green [+14]
  • CLOUD: None Selected
  • CD: None Selected
  • CAS: Thermaltake View 37 Riing Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Gull Wing Panel [+16]
  • EXPAN: Built-in USB Ports
  • EXCD: None Selected
  • FREEBIE_VC1: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Bundle [+0]
  • FREEBIE_CU: Intel WW Gaming Bundle
  • FLASHMEDIA: None Selected
  • FAN: Hyper Liquid II - Large Kit - Soft Tube - RGB Ultimate OC Compatible [+335]
  • HOMEINSTALL: None Selected
  • HOLIDAY3: BullGuard Internet Security 2018 for Windows PC with Game Booster! - 1 year - 3 User Licence [+0]
  • HOLIDAY2: Cyberpower Sticker Set [+0]
  • HOLIDAY1: Corsair Harpoon RGB Gaming Mouse (Certified Refurbished by Corsair) [+0]
  • HDD: 4TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 5400RPM Hard Drive (1 Drive)
  • HD_M2PCIE: None Selected
  • INTERBROWSER1: Google Chrome Internet Browser [+0]
  • INTEL_OPTANE: Intel Optane Memory – 32GB[you must select a HDD to work with Intel Optane] [+51]
  • KEYBOARD: None Selected
  • M2SSD: 1TB (1x1TB) Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD - 3500MB/s Read & 3300MB/s Write [+101] (Single Drive)
  • M2SSD2: None Selected
  • MEMORY: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4/4000mhz Quad Channel Memory [+73] (HyperX Predator w/Heat Spreader)
  • MONITOR: None Selected
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF X299 Mark 2: ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, SATA3, 2x M.2
  • MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity MMO 16000 DPI Gaming Mouse [+83]
  • NETWORK: Asus XG-C100C 10GBase-T PCIe Network Card [+95]
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit Edition) All the core features of Windows 10 plus added networking features, higher security, windows update for business and up to 2TB RAM support [+25] (No Recovery Media)
  • OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
  • PCABLE: None Selected
  • POWERSUPPLY: Corsair AX1200i 1200W 80+ Platinum Modular Digital Gaming Power Supply [+85]
  • PRO_WIRING1: Arctic Silver 5 - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+9]
  • PRO_WIRING2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chasis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
  • PRO_WIRING3: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution Mid Tower - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+14]
  • RAID: None Selected
  • RUSH: Standard Processing Time
  • SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster ZX 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCIe Sound Card w/ SBX Pro Studio & Sound Core3D Processor [+103]
  • SPEAKERS: None Selected
  • SSD: 2TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD - 550MB/s Read / 520MB/s Write [+206] (1 Drive)
  • STREAMERGEAR: None Selected
  • UPS1: Tacima Premium 6-Socket Mains Conditioner with Surge Protection & RFI Filtering [+26] (1 piece)
  • USB1: Built-in USB Ports [+0]
  • VIDEO: MSI GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti 11GB - Ray Tracing Technology, DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DP, 4 Monitor Support [-652] (Dual Card (SLI) [+803])
  • VIDEOCAPTURE: None Selected
  • VIVE_HEADSET: None Selected
  • WARRANTY: DESKTOP SILVER WARRANTY: 3 Year Labour, 2 Year Parts, 1 Year Collect and Return plus Life-Time Technical Support [+19]
  • WNC: None Selected
  • XWNA: None Selected
  • _PRICE: (+5549)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

How are the temperatures?

What coolant did you use and where did you get it?

Also: "Apart from this the liquid for the most part its original colour. "

That is not the same as 'turned from green to white".... White where the "skin" is?

Can you clarify?

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Maybe could have been coolant put in and not correct ph in loop. Maybe could have been system contaminate coolant. Hopefully you have drain in system to make this easier. Maybe multiple flush would clean out hopefully. If not may need to try blitz or something. What coolant you have?

4kwolf

Commendable
Nov 27, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

How are the temperatures?

What coolant did you use and where did you get it?

Also: "Apart from this the liquid for the most part its original colour. "

That is not the same as 'turned from green to white".... White where the "skin" is?

Can you clarify?
Maybe could have been coolant put in and not correct ph in loop. Maybe could have been system contaminate coolant. Hopefully you have drain in system to make this easier. Maybe multiple flush would clean out hopefully. If not may need to try blitz or something. What coolant you have?

I am trying not to flush system as I have 0 expertise in this area and do not feel confident of the procedure. Also where I live there is no expertise for this type of job so I cannot outsource it. The coolent is EK-CryoFuel Solid Neon Green.

The PC came pre built I did not install the fluid.

System specs have been updated on first post.

4kwolf

Commendable
Nov 27, 2020

What do you mean by blitz?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I am trying not to flush system as I have 0 expertise in this area and do not feel confident of the procedure. Also where I live there is no expertise for this type of job so I cannot outsource it. The coolent is EK-CryoFuel Solid Neon Green.

The PC came pre built I did not install the fluid.

System specs have been updated on first post.
How long have you had the PC?

Custom water requires maintenance.

Reactions: Ralston18

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Surprised a watercooled system would be purchased but not consider maintenance or upkeep. That needs to happen annually, if not more often.

Very highly recommend reading up on some watercooling stickies and YouTube videos for 'how-to's' on these subjects.

Skim can be an indicator of not being properly flushed before first fill of coolant. Color-discoloration could be UV (if PC is in bright sunlight for long periods) or could be a reaction of other chemicals in the loop, such as oils used in manufacturing of blocks and radiators.

Reactions: HappyTrails

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Skim can be an indicator of not being properly flushed before first fill of coolant. Color-discoloration could be UV (if PC is in bright sunlight for long periods) or could be a reaction of other chemicals in the loop, such as oils used in manufacturing of blocks and radiators.

Yes yes this seem like to me too it was not prepare enough before fill with a cryofuels. Or fluid failed for some reasons its happened.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It is difficult to say what the actual cause is, but regardless, if it were my cooling loop, I would drain and run a cleansing mix through it, drain, rinse, then re-fill the loop. Even better, disassemble the loop and clean all components individually, re-build the loop, re-fill the loop.

I would be curious to see what the skim looks like - can you post an image?