[SOLVED] Coolant leaked...FRIED some GPU pins and MB PCI-E slot connections....

Oct 13, 2019
Looking for anyone that know something about the pins and connections for the PCI-E slot and GPU pins. I have a question about what some of the specific pins/slot connectors for the PCI-E slot on my MB and the related pins for the GPU specifically do.....

So, unfortunately (for me) my liquid cooled CPU system sprang a leak, and the leaked "low-conductive" coolant ended up landing on and shorting out/ frying the first 5-6 connectors on my MB PCI-E slot and the same pins on my brand new RTX 2080 GPU (links to PICS BELOW). PINS A1-A5/6 and B1-B5/6. Does anyone know what these pins/MB connectors do? I see on a PCI-E diagram that most are for "Test mode" etc, but others are +5V power and grounds, interrupts etc...

Pics of MB and GPU: BURNT PCI-E slot, GPU1, GPU2,
Link to PCI-E Diagram: PCI-E

I pulled everything, cleaned the pins and slot as best I could, and CRAZY enough, everything still works....computer boots up and seems to run 100%, GPU and game run 100%. No error messages in the system or on the MB....Ran Gears 5 at full Ultra 4K and everything good (5 mins) until I shut it down to post this.
...but for sure the first 4-5 MB connectors and the GPU pins are completely fried. Just wondering if anyone knows how "essential" these pins/slots are,what they are actually for, and HOW my system is still working without them, and if these burnt pins will present a bigger problem over time.
Any insight, knowledge or help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Side B ConnectorSide A Connector
#NameDescriptionNameDescription
1+12v+12 volt powerPRSNT#1Hot plug presence detect
2+12v+12 volt power+12v+12 volt power
3+12v+12 volt power+12v+12 volt power
4GNDGroundGNDGround
5SMCLKSMBus clockJTAG2TCK

PCI=E x16 connector lines a1-5 and B1-5

Would replace your motherboard and graphics card.
Side B ConnectorSide A Connector
#NameDescriptionNameDescription
1+12v+12 volt powerPRSNT#1Hot plug presence detect
2+12v+12 volt power+12v+12 volt power
3+12v+12 volt power+12v+12 volt power
4GNDGroundGNDGround
5SMCLKSMBus clockJTAG2TCK

PCI=E x16 connector lines a1-5 and B1-5

Would replace your motherboard and graphics card.

Solution
Oct 13, 2019
Thank you for the reply. I have that diagram. I was hoping someone could explain what those specific connectors do, as the card still works as does the entire system without any error codes.

Do you know what those connectors actually do or what purpose they serve to the system and gpu, other than the short "descriptions" on the diagrams.

TRENDING THREADS