News Liquid-Cooled Radeon RX 6900 XT Surfaces With Puny 120mm AIO Cooler

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Crap... this got me thinking: If manufacturers are skipping 280mm gpu hybrid, I'm going to have to custom cool the next gpu I get...
Alphacool's new Eiswolfs are 360mm only.
:unsure:

Last edited:

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Heh, if that 120mm actually turns out to be adequate for that gpu, then this article will be another testament to Navi 21's superior power efficiency.

Crap... this got me thinking: If manufacturers are skipping 280mm gpu hybrid, I'm going to have to custom cool the next gpu I get...

It should work ok... 120mm rad isn't big but it should have enough surface area to keep the card cool enough that you can run it faster than most aib cooling setups aside from the absolute top tier ones. Of course only some real testing will show whether or not that's true.

Reactions: Phaaze88
If it's a hybrid solution, the 120mm (single-fan, I should say) radiator is more than plenty. This is not an Ampere card, so don't compare their needs to this gen of AMD's, please.

LOL.

Regards.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This is not an Ampere card, so don't compare their needs to this gen of AMD's, please.
I cannot help but do that, because power consumption is one of the unspoken elements in Navi 21 V Ampere debates.

And sure enough, some users have noted their rooms get rather warm with these 3080s and 3090s...
"Don't you guys/gals have A/C?"

Not surprised. I had a GTX1080 at about 200w with a single 120mm rad (custom cooler). It ran at 49c in furmark, low 40s in games.

So theoretically that same 120mm aio could take a 350w GPU without any throttling

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Heh, if that 120mm actually turns out to be adequate for that gpu, then this article will be another testament to Navi 21's superior power efficiency.

Efficiency doesn't matter when deciding what cooler is sufficient. It could be the most efficient GPU ever and still use 2000W's. The 6900 XT is more efficient than a 3090, but it still peaks over 300W's in gaming, which is a lot for a GPU and pushing the limits of a 120mm radiator. An "efficient" 300W GPU requires the exact same cooling capacity as an "inefficient" 300W GPU. If you were building a custom loop for this GPU, a 120mm radiator would not be recommended.

I cannot help but do that, because power consumption is one of the unspoken elements in Navi 21 V Ampere debates.

And sure enough, some users have noted their rooms get rather warm with these 3080s and 3090s...
"Don't you guys/gals have A/C?"
It was just a cheap jab at the editorial wording, as 120mm rad AIO is fine as a complement (again, assuming hybrid). I do agree that it will fall short if it's the only cooling for the card, but doesn't seem to be the case; same thing as Fury X.

Regards.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

Yes, it will work. Remember AMD's own R9 fury Back then?? It had 275W TDP and came with a 120mm liquid cooler. 6900XT is 300W, not an issue.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it will work. Remember AMD's own R9 fury Back then?? It had 275W TDP and came with a 120mm liquid cooler. 6900XT is 300W, not an issue.
Pardon me, I've had another idiot moment - forgetting that cpu and gpu cooling aren't the same.
I really need to change my initial post, before I get more like this...