Liquid Cooler Makes Noise, Doesn't Cool

Starspiker

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
Hello, I appear to be having a problem. I recently got a new power supply, a Corsair CX550M, which after I installed, my liquid cooler started making a grinding/rattling noise. It hadn't done this prior to installation of the new PSU. I let it sit for a bit to see if it went away, but my CPU kept getting hotter and hotter so I shut it off. I was monitoring the temperatures in the BIOS. My cooler is an NZXT Kraken x61. After reinstalling my old power supply, the cooler continued to make the noise. I have linked below a recording of the sound. I fear the pump may be dying, but it seems like quite the coincidence for it to happen at the same time I installed a new PSU.

https://youtu.be/DlsvZ1uYuos

Solution

You no doubt had to reposition the case in at least two geometric positions in order to replace the PSU. That's enough to cause this type of curiously coincidental problem. However, in this instance the motor is running, but there's a partial obstruction stuck in the impeller chamber, which could be making contact with the impeller vanes, thus producing the sound in your recording...

CompuTronix

Intel Master

You no doubt had to reposition the case in at least two geometric positions in order to replace the PSU. That's enough to cause this type of curiously coincidental problem. However, in this instance the motor is running, but there's a partial obstruction stuck in the impeller chamber, which could be making contact with the impeller vanes, thus producing the sound in your recording.

Unlike custom loops, AIO's use dissimilar metals (aluminum radiator / copper water block). This causes galvanic corrosion which produces sediment over time. Even new AIO's may contain sediment due to inadequate radiator flushing after manufacture. Some particles can become relatively large over time, which can create blockages resulting in flow problems.

Simply installing, moving, tipping, handling or otherwise disturbing the AIO unit, new or old, is enough to dislodge particles, whereupon the next power-up, the now free-floating particles can circulate into the impeller chamber and stop or impede the impeller. Since the impeller is magnetically coupled to the motor (no direct shaft), the motor will continue to run while the impeller is blocked or stalled.

Although the most obvious symptom is the abnormal sound, flow problems are directly related. Many users don't realize that "hearing" the motor running or "feeling" vibration does not indicate flow, nor does Pump RPM in various software utilities. Without an actual in-line sensor, proper flow is difficult to verify.

Under normal operation, even at 100% workload, there should be only a minimal temperature differential between the tubes. But if one tube is hot while the other is cool, it indicates little to no flow. This can be verified by checking the tubes with an infrared (IR) thermometer. Regardless of the sound, if the water block is hot while the radiator is cool, it also indicates little to no flow.

Sorry, but the only solution for this problem is an RMA or other means of replacing your AIO.

CT :sol:

Solution