Liquid cooler noise!

SARK350

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Hello there!

I am fairly new to tom'sHARDWARE, so hello to you all!
I do have a question though.

Recently I've acquired, after a long time, a solid build for my pc.
The components:
- Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 3 mobo
- Core i5-7600k 3.8GHz CPU (amazing upgrade from my old Pentium Dual Core E6600)
- AOI CPU liquid cooler Cooler Master Seidon 240V
- Corsair Vengace LPX 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 x 2
- Samsung 960 EVO 250GB storage for my OS mainly (just imagine the perfomance boost that I got, after upgrading from my old ATA drive... "I feel infinite...")
- I also got a Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, I bought it because it was fairly cheap and will probably put it in my sister's PC, but until then, I am using it in this setup
- Finally, I got a new case, didn't want to waste too much money on it, so I went for the Thermaltake N21 Versa.
-I should probably mention that I also have 1x120mm fan at the rear and 2x120mm fans at the front of the case.

Now, that's it for the new parts, as for the rest, they are the old ones:

- MSI Lightning GTX 950
- PSU, Chieftec 550W, and apparently 80+..
- Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
- A 5:4 or 1280x1024 native resolution Samsung screen
- and a Genius keyboard that has survived ages!

Now that that is out the way, I should get on to the issue.

About two weeks after installing all of the components and building my PC, I began hearing strange noise coming from the case. It was a "gurgling" sound and after some research I found out that it is probably just some air in my liquid cooling system.
Now, I checked the temps and they are the same as before so I just passed that as a non-issue.. For now. And the noise was not that disturbing.
But, after a week, a.k.a. today, I started hearing humming coming out of my case.
It is closely connected to my CPU, but strangely it can be heard the most on idle or while I am browsing the internet. Not as much when I am gaming.
I've also noticed that it has some kind of a rythm, probably matching the fan movement.
But the thing that bugs me a lot is that when I opened the case and tried to listen to the fans, I didn't hear a thing.

Is it maybe the air going through the radiator? (don't laugh)
Or is this maybe more PSU connected? I am looking to change it anyways.. When I get some € first. Here, PSU's are insanely more expensive than in USA...

I just wish to know, should I worry or not?

Also, I am typing this at 12pm, after a 10h long day at work. So I am sorry in advance for any spelling errors that you might/will find in this thread.

Thank you in advance.

It sounds like an issue with your cooler. Grab onto one (or both) of the hoses while the system is running at idle, and load. Does it still gurgle? Can you feel the vibrations? Is one warmer than the other?

It may be having pump issues, which is common (not common, but its the most common issue with AIOs).

SARK350

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Ok, so I just messed around with the system and I've decide to unplug JUST the water cooling FAN cables. And there was no huming or vibrating. Just to give you an idea of just how strong the vibrations are, I can feel them when I place my hand on my desk. The PC case sits on top of the desk.

So there is no problem with the pump, thank god.

EDIT: Another thing just started... My PSU is making the buzzing noise... Great T_T

Now I am just interested in WHY did it start vibrating only now? After 3 weeks since installation...

SARK350

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015

Yep, it is probably the coil whine.. Did a lot of research on that. Thank you for the replays though.

SARK350

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015

I have a potato phone, but I'll try. In the meantime, again I did unplug the cpu cooler fans and the vibrations + humming were gone.

As for the PSU buzzing it happens suddenly and in a few minutes it is gone in the same fashion. I was thinking about buying an EVGA supernova GS psu but my cr*p country doesn't even sell them! Soo ordering from Amazon it is, plus 20% + 10% tax at the border... F*ck this country hard..

The fan vibrations are strong enough for me to be distracted, while using the headphones, volume maxed out, playing Planet Side 2 epic battle... That is enough to deafen someone, but I can still hear the fan noise.

And the best part is that my phone can't even record such a strong sound.

Insane...

SARK350

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015

Thank you for the reply. I already saw the list a while back. I've decided to go with he EVGA supernova GS. It is rated tier 1 so I guess I'll be good. Once I get it, that is.