[SOLVED] liquid cooler recommendation

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys,

firstly i would like to apologies to the mod for necro post.

i am after a liquid cooler for my cpu, my budget is low i am afraid, between 30 and 60.

my cpu is intel core i5 4570s and its 1150 socket.

many thanks guys

Solution
the eSports series has gotten some good reviews i've seen.
being a budget option it appears to be worth it.

for near to the same price the newer version of the Cooler Master Hyper 212, the RGB Black Edition has similar reviews and offers it's own RGB controller. also has the option to add a second fan.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I commend you for taking an interest, but you're setting yourself up for trouble. A hybrid cooler in that price range is going to be trash; corners get cut to get the price that far down.
Plus, you want LEDs? That adds to the price.
Hybrid coolers already aren't cost effective cooling solutions.
Just saying, but your money would be better spent on a tower air cooler.

Arctic's Liquid Freezer II 120 and Cooler Master's Masterliquid ML240L RGB Version 2... 80USD+.

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I commend you for taking an interest, but you're setting yourself up for trouble. A hybrid cooler in that price range is going to be trash; corners get cut to get the price that far down.
Plus, you want LEDs? That adds to the price.
Hybrid coolers already aren't cost effective cooling solutions.
Just saying, but your money would be better spent on a tower air cooler.

Arctic's Liquid Freezer II 120 and Cooler Master's Masterliquid ML240L RGB Version 2... 80USD+.
ok i can up the price up too.

so you suggest the bottom 2?

just looking at them on google now.

when you say tower air cooler, do you mean extra fans on the case?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The stock coolers are downdraft, or top-down coolers.

are the tower air cooler just like a stock cooler but with bigger heatsinks?
Not really. The airflow is probably the biggest difference.
In a normal ATX chassis, downdraft coolers should be used with side intakes over them, and rear and top exhausts. But with tempered glass side panels being the trend, these little guys don't do as well as they could.
Tower air draw air from the front and top(if one doesn't have exhaust fans over them) and exhaust out the back. Complements today's chassis better than downdraft do.

Reactions: froggy8 and Dj0gany

CompuTronix

Intel Master
froggy8,

Q: Aside from RGB, are you interested in replacing the stock cooler because your i5-4570S is having problems with high Core temperatures?

If so, here's some points you should consider:

Although "Throttle" temperature for your CPU is 100°C, Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended. Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal. Core temperatures will be higher than normal if your ambient (room) temperature is higher than normal, for which the International Standard is 22°C or 72°F.

Q: What is your ambient temperature?

Intel CPUs with the "S" designation are lower TDP (Thermal Design Power) variants of their mainstream counterparts. Your 4 Core / 4 Thread i5-4570S is a variant of its flagship counterpart 4 Core / 8 Thread i7-4790S, both of which are rated in a design envelope of 65 Watts.

But since your i5 doesn't have Hyper-Threading, and has Base and Turbo clock speeds that are respectively 300 MHz and 400 MHz slower than its flagship i7 counterpart, your i5 consumes less power, so it can never reach its rated TDP of 65 Watts. It's instead quite likely that your i5-4570S can only reach an actual maximum power consumption of about 55 Watts.

If your stock cooler (rated at 65 Watts TDP) is properly mounted (despite Intel's problematic push-pin fasteners), has fresh thermal paste and is free of dust, then the stock cooler should be adequate for your CPU under a 100% TDP workload at normal ambient temperature.

As Phaaze88 has already pointed out, liquid cooling has its own set of issues. All liquid coolers will fail due to loss of coolant flow. It's not a question of if; it's a question of when a failure will overheat your CPU to 100°C. Knowledgeable users are prepared for liquid cooling failures by having a decent backup air cooler for a quick swap to minimize RMA downtime.

Air coolers with a backplate and proper fastening hardware are extremely reliable, as fan failures are very infrequent. Even in the event of a fan failure, air coolers still provide some degree of cooling simply due to convection.

Regardless, if you're interested in replacing your stock cooler for the sake of RGB, and if there's enough clearance in your case, then I would recommend an inexpensive 120mm fan class tower air cooler with a backplate and RGB, such as the 4 pipe DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GTE V2 for 29.99 USD, or for the same price, the 5 pipe Vetroo V5 with addressable RGB.

Since either of these coolers are way more than adequate (overkill) in cooling performance for your low power "S" variant CPU, you would also have the option of moving these parts into a future rig.

CT :sol:

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
froggy8,

Q: Aside from RGB, are you interested in replacing the stock cooler because your i5-4570S is having problems with high Core temperatures?

Although "Throttle" temperature for your CPU is 100°C, Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended. Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal. Core temperatures will be higher than normal if your ambient (room) temperature is higher than normal, for which the International Standard is 22°C or 72°F.

Intel CPUs with the "S" designation are lower TDP (Thermal Design Power) variants of their standard counterparts. Your 4 Core / 4 Thread i5-4570S is a variant of its flagship counterpart 4 Core / 8 Thread i7-4790S, both of which are rated in a TDP envelope of 65 Watts.

But since your i5 doesn't have Hyper-Threading, and has Base and Turbo clock speeds that are respectively 300 MHz and 400 MHz slower than its flagship i7 counterpart, your i5 consumes less power, so it can never reach its rated TDP of 65 Watts. It's instead quite likely that your i5-4570S can only reach an actual maximum power consumption of about 55 Watts.

If your stock cooler (rated at 65 Watts TDP) is properly mounted (despite Intel's problematic push-pin fasteners), has fresh thermal paste and is free of dust, then the stock cooler should be adequate for your CPU under a 100% TDP workload at normal ambient temperature.

As Phaaze88 has already pointed out, liquid cooling has its own set of issues. All liquid coolers will fail due to loss of coolant flow. It's not a question of if; it's a question of when a failure will overheat your CPU to 100°C. Knowledgeable users are prepared for liquid cooling failures by having a decent backup air cooler for a quick swap to minimize downtime.

Air coolers with a backplate and proper fastening hardware are extremely reliable, as fan failures are very infrequent. Even in the event of a fan failure, air coolers still provide some degree of cooling simply due to convection.

Regardless, if you're interested in replacing your stock cooler for the sake of RGB, and if there's enough clearance in your case, then I would recommend an inexpensive 120mm fan class tower air cooler with a backplate and RGB, such as the 4 pipe DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GTE V2 for 29.99 USD, or for the same price, the 5 pipe Vetroo V5 with addressable RGB.

Since either of these coolers are way more than adequate (overkill) in cooling performance for your low power "S" variant CPU, you would also have the option of moving the parts into a future rig.

many thansk for the thorough explaination :)

i am very interetsed in replacing my stock cooler but i am torn between air and water coolers now.

the 2 what you linked seems very good for the price.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
froggy8,

Intel CPUs with the "S" designation are lower TDP (Thermal Design Power) variants of their standard counterparts. Your 4 Core / 4 Thread i5-4570S is a variant of its flagship counterpart 4 Core / 8 Thread i7-4790S, both of which are rated in a TDP envelope of 65 Watts.

As Phaaze88 has already pointed out, liquid cooling has its own set of issues. All liquid coolers will fail due to loss of coolant flow. It's not a question of if; it's a question of when a failure will overheat your CPU to 100°C. Knowledgeable users are prepared for liquid cooling failures by having a decent backup air cooler for a quick swap to minimize downtime.

Since either of these coolers are way more than adequate (overkill) in cooling performance for your low power "S" variant CPU, you would also have the option of moving the parts into a future rig.

it doesnt have to be rgb, can just be plain too but just thought i could add more lighting to my pc is all.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
People buy into hybrid coolers for their performance, while knowing about their shortcomings - well, I would like to hope they do, so they don't get bitten later.

There's good/bad air and hybrid coolers. A good air cooler won't 'beat' a good hybrid cooler in raw performance, but the latter doesn't come cheap.
The retail prices are deceptive.
On average, you will 'go through' more hybrid coolers than you will air coolers - if you don't get bored of the latter first.
There are more points of failure, the main one being the literal heart of a hybrid cooler: the pump. Once that dies or clogs up, that's it; you can't use it anymore, and the majority aren't designed to be serviced.
You need a backup cooler on hand for when the pump does kick the bucket, or you won't - well shouldn't - use the PC until the replacement arrives.
Lifespan will vary some based on use, abuse, and component quality, but the average run for these appears to be 3-4 years.
Odds of leaks are very low, but not an impossibility. Nowadays, they're more likely to be caused by carelessness from the user than a defect from the factory.

In the face of working and earning income, perhaps none of the above matters. But still, when there's people like yourself with a strained budget and want it to last, air coolers should be the go-to.
Unless you really have to have the hybrid - as I said earlier, "You buy into them knowing about their shortcomings."

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
People buy into hybrid coolers for their performance, while knowing about their shortcomings - well, I would like to hope they do, so they don't get bitten later.

There's good/bad air and hybrid coolers. A good air cooler won't 'beat' a good hybrid cooler in raw performance, but the latter doesn't come cheap.
The retail prices are deceptive.
On average, you will 'go through' more hybrid coolers than you will air coolers - if you don't get bored of the latter first.
There are more points of failure, the main one being the literal heart of a hybrid cooler: the pump. Once that dies or clogs up, that's it; you can't use it anymore, and the majority aren't designed to be serviced.
You need a backup cooler on hand for when the pump does kick the bucket, or you won't - well shouldn't - use the PC until the replacement arrives.
Lifespan will vary some based on use, abuse, and component quality, but the average run for these appears to be 3-4 years.
Odds of leaks are very low, but not an impossibility. Nowadays, they're more likely to be caused by carelessness from the user than a defect from the factory.

In the face of working and earning income, perhaps none of the above matters. But still, when there's people like yourself with a strained budget and want it to last, air coolers should be the go-to.
Unless you really have to have the hybrid - as I said earlier, "You buy into them knowing about their shortcomings."
many thanks for your reply,

i am leaning more towards air coolers now but unfortunately i dont have any rgb headers so rgb is a no go now which is a shame i thought. my mobo is quite old.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I'm not too familiar with the RGB stuff, but in the case that the motherboard doesn't have any headers, you'd have to buy a HUB for it that's powered by 15pin SATA.
For example: https://www.amazon.com/rgb-hub/s?k=rgb+hub
There's 12v RGB and 5v ARGB - you don't want to mix them.

Aside from that, my knowledge if very limited.
i was thinking about a hub but means more money to spend, i will have to make do wit just a normal 2 fan cooler if possible.