[SOLVED] liquid cooler recommendation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys,

firstly i would like to apologies to the mod for necro post.

i am after a liquid cooler for my cpu, my budget is low i am afraid, between 30 and 60.

my cpu is intel core i5 4570s and its 1150 socket.

many thanks guys

Solution
the eSports series has gotten some good reviews i've seen.
being a budget option it appears to be worth it.

for near to the same price the newer version of the Cooler Master Hyper 212, the RGB Black Edition has similar reviews and offers it's own RGB controller. also has the option to add a second fan.
i am after a liquid cooler for my cpu
liquid cooling has its own set of issues. All liquid coolers will fail due to loss of coolant flow. It's not a question of if; it's a question of when a failure will overheat your CPU to 100°C.
this may be true in theory, but the lifespan will more than likely be longer than you would actually be using the same cooler.

my first was a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme that I used for 4 years with it running ~12hrs a day at least.
3 years ago i sold it to a friend who has had it running constantly since then and still getting very good results.

next i got an EVGA CLC 280 i used for 2 years in my primary system and now for another year+ in a media center build. no issues at all.

so don't let others scare you away from purchasing an AIO if you decide to go that route.
though it's not actually necessary these days unless you are really just going for extra quiet + performance.
a lot of the higher end air coolers can get you even better temperatures than your average AIO though you will dealing with a bit more noise.

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
this may be true in theory, but the lifespan will more than likely be longer than you would actually be using the same cooler.

my first was a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme that I used for 4 years with it running ~12hrs a day at least.
3 years ago i sold it to a friend who has had it running constantly since then and still getting very good results.

next i got an EVGA CLC 280 i used for 2 years in my primary system and now for another year+ in a media center build. no issues at all.

so don't let others scare you away from purchasing an AIO if you decide to go that route.
though it's not actually necessary these days unless you are really just going for extra quiet + performance.
a lot of the higher end air coolers can get you even better temperatures than your average AIO though you will dealing with a bit more noise.
thank you for that

i am looking for air one for now, thinking 2 fans would be better.

was thinking of this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARCTIC-F...150802?hash=item265cd3f092:g:vTkAAOSwoUBfmoiU

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
the eSports series has gotten some good reviews i've seen.
being a budget option it appears to be worth it.

for near to the same price the newer version of the Cooler Master Hyper 212, the RGB Black Edition has similar reviews and offers it's own RGB controller. also has the option to add a second fan.
wow......that has nearly ticked all the boxes i want it to do.

just 1 question, which 120mm fan would you reommend if i do want to get another one? i will try it with 1 fan for now though.

personally i would use 2x Noctua NF-F12 or 2x be quiet! Silent Wings 3, but they lack RGB options.

you can get a matching SF120R RGB like the one that comes with the cooler for ~$20.
you may even be able to find a version of the cooler that comes with 2x fans included.

or just shop around and look for something cheaper that has similar airflow, air pressure, and dBA(noise level) that also includes RGB.

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
personally i would use 2x Noctua NF-F12 or 2x be quiet! Silent Wings 3, but they lack RGB options.

you can get a matching SF120R RGB like the one that comes with the cooler for ~$20.
you may even be able to find a version of the cooler that comes with 2x fans included.

or just shop around and look for something cheaper that has similar airflow, air pressure, and dBA(noise level) that also includes RGB.
many thanks again, i will order the same as the cooler. if i do decide to get non led ones then i have bookmarked the 2 you suggested.