Liquid cooler. Where to plug fans and pump?

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Hey guys. So 2 months ago I bought Raijintek TRITON cooler (http://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/henry-butt/raijintek-triton-aio-liquid-cpu-cooler-review/).
In the package along with the cooler I got two Molex to 3pin connectors, so you could plug waterpump and radiator fans directly to psu. After a week or so I RMA the cooler because it leaked, and today I got a new one (same model). This time, there were no molex to 3pin adapters included. It looks like there's new User manual, and there's not a single word about those 2 connectors. It looks like Raijintek took a different approach to plugging fans and waterpump.

Now I'm wondering, since there's no instructions about plugging the water pump, where on motherboard is it safe to plug those?

I connected fans to case's speed controller along with the other case fans (got Fractal Design define r4), but I don't know where to plug waterpump. It's currently plugged to PWR_FAN, but I have no idea whether this is safe or not.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Depends on who you are, what fan you have and what motherboard.

For example, my h55 comes with a 3 pin analog fan. My motherboard has cpu_fan and pwr_fan. Corsair instruction says to put the pump on cpu_fan and the fan on anything else. Well that doesn't work for me. Pwr_fan was the closest fan connector and for me pwr_fan is not controllable, its a constant 12v, and cpu_fan only controls pwm 4pin fans. So, pump went onto pwr_fan as you do not want it controlled anyways, it needs to run full speed constantly, so that was good, and fan went onto cpu_fan until I replaced the 3pin with a pwm 4pin.

So now pump works always, and cpu_fan controls my cpu fan. Contrary to Corsair instructions.

How you set yours up is up to you, but I would...

jpsulisz

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013

With my Corsair H55 I have it set to the pump on the PWR_Fan option, and my fans are connected to the motherboard, you should try to connect the fans to your CPU_Fan first then fill your System_Fan if you ever add another fan.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on who you are, what fan you have and what motherboard.

For example, my h55 comes with a 3 pin analog fan. My motherboard has cpu_fan and pwr_fan. Corsair instruction says to put the pump on cpu_fan and the fan on anything else. Well that doesn't work for me. Pwr_fan was the closest fan connector and for me pwr_fan is not controllable, its a constant 12v, and cpu_fan only controls pwm 4pin fans. So, pump went onto pwr_fan as you do not want it controlled anyways, it needs to run full speed constantly, so that was good, and fan went onto cpu_fan until I replaced the 3pin with a pwm 4pin.

So now pump works always, and cpu_fan controls my cpu fan. Contrary to Corsair instructions.

How you set yours up is up to you, but I would use the motherboard connectors and definitely not directly hook to psu with molex adapters, as you will have 0 capability to read rpm. If the pumps rpm suddenly stops or dramatically drops off, its failing, so being able to monitor that is a good thing.

You will, however, have to have something, anything, connected to cpu_fan, or the cpu fan alarm will not allow you to turn on the pc, in order to prevent cpu damage.

Solution