Question Liquid Coolers - Odd question

macguy9

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
Would it be possible to run a cooler (IE: Corsair H55) off a battery power source instead of the PC power supply?

I'm looking to use the heatsink and radiator for a 'non traditional' application (read: not in a PC) and want to know if it will function at all using DC power from a lithium ion power source.

Thanks in advance.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
As long as the volts and amperage are correct and in-range for the pump requirements, I fully expect that to work. It might take some re-wiring in order to accomplish, but yeah, since PC components are DC-powered due to AC/DC conversion from the power supply (not the Aussie rock/metal band) this should work fine.

Can you post your project when you get done with it? I'm curious as to what it is for and how it went.

macguy9

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
As long as the volts and amperage are correct and in-range for the pump requirements, I fully expect that to work. It might take some re-wiring in order to accomplish, but yeah, since PC components are DC-powered due to AC/DC conversion from the power supply (not the Aussie rock/metal band) this should work fine.

Can you post your project when you get done with it? I'm curious as to what it is for and how it went.

No problem. I'm trying to create a body cooling solution that doesn't involve ice packs in a crappy nylon vest. I'm going to try and create a closed circuit radiator loop that you could wear under a shirt. It would circulate coolant through tubes to the heatsink and expel the radiant body heat out through the fan. Still in the planning stages and sourcing parts, but it looks promising.

Could be very helpful for those of us who have to work in hot environments for extended periods in heavy protective gear. Even if it only lowers the body temperature to that of the surrounding air (instead of what it is inside a tyvek suit) that would help immensely.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I thought they already had body wear like this? I know that it exists for astronauts and I would imagine deep sea diving suits, but you're wanting something like this: https://www.coolshirt.com/product/2coolshirt/

Only issue I see is the pump unit on those coolers likely isn't going to be the best candidate for moving coolant through a lengthy bit of tubing and not sure than an ambient cooling system is going to be able to cool a human very well without the possibility of actually raising the body temperature instead. At certain ambient air temperatures, such as those close to body temperature, 98.6F or relatively similar, you would only be moving body-heat level coolant through the tubing that wouldn't be cooled at all and the radiator can actually absorb ambient heat and transfer that back into the cooling loop.