Question liquid cooling 240mm

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mahmoudkito

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2016
hello, iam planning to buy a 240mm water cooler for i5 12600k but my case is cooler master haf 912 combat can i instal a 240mm water cooler in this case
and take into consideration that on top of the case there is a place for two 120mm fans or a 200mm fan that i can apply
but the rear of the case there's only one place for a 120mm fan.
so is there any way that i could apply a 240mm water cooler in the case.

ID-COOLING ICEFLOW 240 ARGB CPU LIQUID COOLER -
ID-COOLING AURAFLOW X 240 SNOW CPU WATER COOLER 240 RGB CPU LIQUID COOLER

i want to get one of these two so is there any way possible that i could install it in the HAF 912 COMBAT

mahmoudkito

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2016
You're telling me, in your country, a 240mm Zoomflow + Masterbox511 is cheaper than getting a NH-D15 + keeping the HAF 912..?
no it will be a bit expensive because iam getting a new case and i want to use liquid cooling because it looks better and i will have access to ram any time unlike the noctua and the master box511 will be useful in the future if i wanted to change other components do you agree?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, I don't agree... and am bowing out at this point. Sorry I'm not the guy for this.
My focus was to aid with cost effective cooling. An AIO is not the way to go if one's finances are tight.
It's unfortunate that the only reasonable air cooler available is so expensive, but then you want to opt for an AIO + new case, which together, is even more expensive...

i will have access to ram any time unlike the noctua
Not true. One simply needs to move the front fan to the back, and it doesn't affect the cooler's capabilities. Instead of what's usually seen in pictures:
[heatsink]fan | [heatsink]fan <airflow direction

It's now:
fan[heatsink] | fan[heatsink] <airflow direction
Again, with no practical change in its cooling performance.

Reactions: mahmoudkito

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
and i will have access to ram any time
Why? In my old setup I didn't physically touch my ram in over 6 years, no point to it. In my new mITX I can't physically even get to my ram without disassembly of the custom liquid loop, but then again, I have no reason to require access to the ram. Once it's installed and running there's no practical reason for access unless you plan on swapping sticks for other ram, multiple times.

With aircoolers that infinge on ram airspace, it's as simple as removing the fan to gain access, which you'd need to do anyway for a good cleaning which should be done yearly regardless.

Basing your build around the perceived requirements of ram access means limiting choices in other areas including limiting the budget to a higher amount than you'd choose.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Don't know if it's accesible from where you are, but ever considered the coolermaster masterliquid 92 maker?

Not sure if it fits any needs, but it does fit in your case as it is an 120mm AIO mounted like a towercooler. Again, because of the pricetag and its scarcity, you're better of with an air-towercooler to be fair. But if you desperately want watercooling, this might just float your boat.

(boat and water related pun intended;))

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't know if it's accesible from where you are, but ever considered the coolermaster masterliquid 92 maker?

Not sure if it fits any needs, but it does fit in your case as it is an 120mm AIO mounted like a towercooler. Again, because of the pricetag and its scarcity, you're better of with an air-towercooler to be fair. But if you desperately want watercooling, this might just float your boat.

(boat and water related pun intended;))
It's not a 120mm AIO. The Maker 92 is a uniquly designed 92mm AIO, uses push/pull 92mm fans. The problem there is simply it's size, it's lack of coolant volume, lack of surface area to dissipate the heat. Makes it pretty bad for thermal performance for the cpu even if it works out quite well in horizontal position for ram/vrm cooling.

A beQuiet DarkRock TF aircooler is somewhat smaller, has similar overall horizontal looks with 2x fans, similar downdraft ram/vrm clearances and cooling, but over twice the TDP capacity, and is quieter.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
It's not a 120mm AIO. The Maker 92 is a uniquly designed 92mm AIO, uses push/pull 92mm fans. The problem there is simply it's size, it's lack of coolant volume, lack of surface area to dissipate the heat. Makes it pretty bad for thermal performance for the cpu even if it works out quite well in horizontal position for ram/vrm cooling.

A beQuiet DarkRock TF aircooler is somewhat smaller, has similar overall horizontal looks with 2x fans, similar downdraft ram/vrm clearances and cooling, but over twice the TDP capacity, and is quieter.
Well not a surprise that the maker 92 kinda died out then, and I think this guy is best off with an tower cooler anyway, since his case won't fit a rad...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yep.. No surprise at all. But don't discount it based on its 92mm fans, coolers like the Cryorig m9i or Raijintek Aidos use 92mm fans and work very well, easily equitable to a CM Hyper212. The issue with the small aios is capacity vs cost. Your standard 120mm AIO is only @ 140w capacity for $60+. Most budget aircoolers are in the $30-$50 range and do the exact same job, with equitable temps.

Most atx midtowers will fit a 240mm AIO, which has @ a 250w capacity, same as the giant NH-D15 or DarkRock Pro4, which are so tall that they'll not fit in many cases.

So while aircoolers have their benefits, everything from cost to fit, AIO's also have benefits. Just as both also have weaknesses. It's all a matter of which preference you have, what you can live with and which suits both you as the owner and your pc, better.