[SOLVED] Liquid Cooling a Dell XPS 8930 SE

Aug 27, 2020
My 8930 has an i9-9900, GeForce RTX 2070, 32GB DDR4 RAM, two 2TB drives, and an 850W power supply. And it sounds like a jet engine whenever I play a game and that's with Bose noise canceling headphones; dead quiet the rest of the time.

I've talked to Dell without success. The CPU Package has gotten up to 94C and the GPU Core up to 92C. GPU fan, during game play is 93%. So, I'm looking at a liquid cooler.

First, has anyone put a liquid cooler in a Dell XPS 8930 that is similarly equipped? Second, what was the result? Third, what cooler did you use?

I'm considering a MasterLiquid ML360R RGB or a Corsair H150i Pro CPU Cooler. I'm basing this simply on reviews and don't know if a) that's the right choice or b) if I also need a GPU cooler.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. In advance - thank you!!

Nick.

Solution
I don't know that case, but you likely don't get enough air in. AIO also needs airflow, so does your graphics card. Since both CPU and GPU are hot, you would need a loop for both and there likely is no room. In a custom loop you could have a radiator outside the case.

Honestly, with these throw-away PCs you are better off buying a new case with at least two 140mm intake fans and then you can air-cool it easily. $100 should give you more improvement than cramming water-cooling in that Dell would allow. Add $50 for an air CPU cooler.

Note that your RAM, VRM etc. also are frying in your setup.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do tell us where you'd put one, when the interior looks like this:
small_dell_xps_tower_special_edition_inside.jpg

large

The chassis doesn't natively support such coolers.
You should be able to get a stronger cpu air cooler in there, but the gpu is left hanging...

Jul 12, 2020
I don't know that case, but you likely don't get enough air in. AIO also needs airflow, so does your graphics card. Since both CPU and GPU are hot, you would need a loop for both and there likely is no room. In a custom loop you could have a radiator outside the case.

Honestly, with these throw-away PCs you are better off buying a new case with at least two 140mm intake fans and then you can air-cool it easily. $100 should give you more improvement than cramming water-cooling in that Dell would allow. Add $50 for an air CPU cooler.

Note that your RAM, VRM etc. also are frying in your setup.

Solution