Question Liquid cooling an RX590?

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I just bought an RX590. I figured for $30 more than an RX580 plus a third $60 game, it was the better value. But as I understand it these cards run fairly hot. I currently have quite a decent setup for air cooling in my case, even including two 140mm fans blowing directly into the GPUs fans (motherboard is horizontal so the GPU fans face the left side of the case) but I was considering liquid cooling.

As I understand it, a lot of people have to use custom blocks to liquid cool their entire GPU, but I also noticed that cooling the GPU itself, and ignoring the VRAM and power modules still results in a net heat reduction for those components since there's less heat bleeding into them from the GPU itself.

I have the Thermaltake V21 case which is a cube MicroATX with a bracket holding two 140mm fans on the left side of the case blowing fresh air in directly into the fans on the GPU. Could I get a 280mm AIO and a universal GPU water block and just utilize glue on heatsinks for the VRAM and get a substantial amount of cooling for fairly low cost? Given the position of the case fans and orientation of the GPU with a horizontally mounted motherboard and how much airflow the radiator fans would provide to the chip side of the GPU.

Don't bother. Learn how to apply manual voltage settings in AMD WattMan.

My RX480 @ stock voltage pulls 130W @ 1305MHz/1100mV. It pulls 100W @ 1305MHz/1020mV fully stable.

Also take advantage of Frame Rate Target Control (for fixed refresh monitors) and Chill (for FreeSync monitors). Saves a lot of power/ heat.