Liquid cooling doesn't work as expected

dzemojad2002

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've got the corsair H 100i v2 liquid cooling, and I expected really low temps when playing games.
The temps I got when playing rainbow six siege go up to 66 degrees, where I play on the lowest settings (to get 144 fps).

The corsair fans are really loud so I can't have them on 100% because I can still hear the pc even with my headphones on and the game in the background. My friend who has liquid cooling (h100 i I think) says that his cpu is at 38 while gaming. Am I doing something wrong or is liquid cooling just bad?

Update: After trying to update my drivers, I restarted the game, which turned all my settings to high, and the temperatures have dropped below 60 degrees. What the hell is going on?

Solution
38C while gaming, not likely. I would call that an erroneous sensor or closer to idle temperature.

66C with an 8700k while gaming, good, even great.

Corsair's stock fans can get a little loud. As long as you keep the CPU under 80C or so everything will be fine.

dzemojad2002

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018

I've got a i5 8700K, 1060 6GB graohics card, Aurora black case, the radiator came with the liquid cooling, and the fans are default corsair fans too.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
38C while gaming, not likely. I would call that an erroneous sensor or closer to idle temperature.

66C with an 8700k while gaming, good, even great.

Corsair's stock fans can get a little loud. As long as you keep the CPU under 80C or so everything will be fine.

Solution

dzemojad2002

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018

Would you recommend getting the NF-F12 Noctua fans? I heard they are very quiet.

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
First, the Intel chips are very spiky ... period. Second, they tend to retain heat unless delidded.
I doubt your friend's CPU isn't at a constant 38C while gaming.

One thing to look at in your setup, however, is the coolant temperature. If your fans are screaming, that's an indication that the coolant is warm. There's a couple of possible reasons for this. First, you need to set the fan header that the pump is plugged in to (the CPU_FAN header by default) to 100%/Full Speed. See http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174442, section B for details.

Second, if your cooler is set to exhaust, it is very possible that the coolant is being heated by the GPU waste heat. This is pretty common in liquid cooling builds as a lot of folks don't adjust the fan curves to account for liquid cooling - they continue to use the CPU temp as the source for the case fans and that's not a good way to do it when your primary internal heat source is the GPU.

As for quieter fans, I recommend the Corsair ML series fans. I run them on my H100i V2 and the are a much quieter replacement for the stock fans and perform as good or better than the stock fans. Plus, they should last darn near forever.