Liquid Cooling GPU Help

kvnhardware

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
So I am looking to get a Rx Vega 64 in November and I am considering on getting a Vega 64 with Liquid Cooling, depending on if there is a price drop. I am very new when it comes to Liquid Cooling, so I know very little.

So my questions are:
Is a Rx Vega 64 Liquid Cooled comparable with my PC?/Will it fit

Do I need to refill or do anything to the Liquid cooling part once I get it?

How do I assemble the Liquid Cooling part?

My specs that I will have in November:
Cpu: i7 4790 3.6 GHz
Gpu: Rx Vega 64/Liquid Cooled(possibily)
Ram:ballistix 24gb total
*Psu:Seasonic focus plus 650 gold, Is what I'm planning on getting but if I need a better one let me know
Case:https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BV31QU8?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2
Motherboard: ASUS Q87M-E/CSM DDR3 1600 LGA 1150

The GPU:
https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIAD2C72R7964

The product says the minimum requirement is 1000w, am I still able to use 650w or should I just get a 1000W.

Solution
Not really sure where to start here. What CPU exactly, you've kind of mashed that together and there aren't enough numbers. What kind of memory? What motherboard?

Any late model computer is capable of running a PCIe card, so compatibility is no issue. Fitment is another matter.

Are you planning to purchase a liquid cooled card, or convert a standard card to liquid cooling? If the latter, which method are you talking about. You can use an all-in-one cooler (like those used on CPUs) which are pre-filled, sealed, and zero maintenance. Or you can buy open-loop/custom-loop components. Something like that requires a lot of planning.

That case isn't very radiator (water cooling) friendly. You can rear mount a 120mm radiator. Top mount...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not really sure where to start here. What CPU exactly, you've kind of mashed that together and there aren't enough numbers. What kind of memory? What motherboard?

Any late model computer is capable of running a PCIe card, so compatibility is no issue. Fitment is another matter.

Are you planning to purchase a liquid cooled card, or convert a standard card to liquid cooling? If the latter, which method are you talking about. You can use an all-in-one cooler (like those used on CPUs) which are pre-filled, sealed, and zero maintenance. Or you can buy open-loop/custom-loop components. Something like that requires a lot of planning.

That case isn't very radiator (water cooling) friendly. You can rear mount a 120mm radiator. Top mount appears to be designed for fans only, and the front is basically obstructed.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The GPU: https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIAD2C72R7964

For the case, is it still possible for it to work with the GPU liquid cooled?

Sent on: October 22, 2018 2:50 AM
Yes. That should work.

Feel free to respond to the actual post rather than here.

I can't sign in to your amazon account.

Sent on: October 22, 2018 3:26 AM
Sorry I'm not able to respond on a phone, the motherboard is ASUS Q87M-E/CSM DDR 3 1600 LGA 1150

I believe you have answered my 1st and 2nd questions

I am still wondering if I need to assemble it if I were to buy it, like attach it somewhere or hook it up to something, etc.

Thanks for the help so far though.

Sent on: October 22, 2018 3:39 AM
One last question as well, sorry, on new egg it says system requirments: Minimum power supply requirement: 1000w, does the one I said the 650 w gold still work?

Sent on: October 22, 2018 4:39 AM
Not sure what being on mobile has to do with anything, you can always request the desktop site if the interface is different.

I can't think of anything that asks for a 1000W PSU... 650W is plenty for a single CPU/GPU system.

I'm not sure what you mean by assemble. The card comes as pictured, you need only install it, mount the radiator, and provide it power.

Sent on: October 22, 2018 5:15 AM
Sorry I didn't know there was a desktop on mobile version, thanks for the all the help, for the PSU I also thought 1000w was too much but on new egg it says so. https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIAD2C72R7964/specs
So I'm not sure if I do need 1000w

Sent on: October 22, 2018 5:31 AM
Newegg is wrong...

If you have a Q87 with an i7-4790, then you are looking at a locked 84W processor. Vega 64 liquid is rated at 345W. The rest of the system might add up to 100W or so (Motherboard, Drives, memory, fans). So that puts you around 500W. An argument could be made for a 750W power supply, or perhaps 850W (the price difference between those two is usually minor)

I must agree with the other person that posted. The GTX1070Ti/GTX1080/GTX1080Ti is probably a more appropriate choice unless you really like FreeSync and consider it a must have.

Sent on: October 22, 2018 5:46 AM
Thanks for all the help, I was considering the 1070ti depending on the price drop during November if there is any, do you know if its comparable with my PC overall, and if 650w would be certain for it as I know the vega 64 can be a psu drainer.

Sent on: October 22, 2018 5:54 AM
ANY PCIe card is compatible with your system, with very few exceptions. It has been the standard for more than a decade.

That particular Vega64 does use a lot of power relative to other cards, and in general AMDs high end cards have always been heavy on power requirements. 650W should be enough, though if you want a quieter PSU, going larger won't hurt. You would want to confirm you have enough PCIe power connectors, you'll need at least two 6+2 pin connectors (2 x 8-pin)

For the money you could get the brand new RTX2070 which is basically like a GTX1080. Or you could get a GTX1080 and overclock it.

Sent on: October 22, 2018 6:09 AM
Well I'm looking to spend roughly 450-500 on blackfriday-cyber monday, I'm not sure how much the 1080 or 2070 will be, but I'll consider it. I'm not sure what you mean by the pins, does my mother board have the right pins for the 1070ti, 1080, and 2070, I have an older version due to my ram slots being DDR3 and my other parts fitting into that model of motherboard, I know that most people have ddr4 now

Sent on: October 22, 2018 6:34 AM
I am referring to the power requirements, this is part of the ATX standard. That Vega64 takes two 8-pin power connectors, each rated for 150W. The rest of the power comes from the motherboard to total 345W. (PCIe x16 slots are rated at 75W). They are riding the ragged edge of the power a single card should consume.

GTX1070Ti, GTX1080, or RTX2070 will all use much less. GTX1070Ti and GTX1080 typically only have a single 8-pin power connector. Not sure on the RTX2070, it should be similar. And partner cards can have pretty much any config. They often use the same circuit board and they may have opted for dual 8-pin or 8-pin + 6-pin just to impress.

"Most" people have DDR3, just as you do. Only people who have built a computer in the last 3 years or so would have DDR4. Not really relevant to the power topic though.

Suffice to say that the ATX standard has been with us for a long time. PCIe 12V power cables were introduced in the early 2000s, then revised almost instantly to add 8-pin configs. They haven't changed since.