Liquid Cooling, h100i vs custom loop

Jan 30, 2019
I have a h100i currently. Baseclock cpu with cooling fans on high I achieve 25-30c while stress testing I get 60-69c. I want to get into overclocking but everytime I test, the temp hits 90c instantly and i stop test right away. I was wonder if a custom loop would do a better job and if possible could you give some kind of explanation.

Which system ???
If you are sure that temps are not because of wrong installation or connections/settings, a custom loop may show better results mostly because higher liquid volume, better heat transfer between CPU block and better pump but at higher cost initially and higher maintenance also no warranty against leaks and damage done by it.
There are better AiO coolers than that one rivaling all but best and most expensive custom loops.
This one for instance https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181139 is cooling my friends 9000K at over 5.3GHz without a hitch.

Jan 30, 2019

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8086K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 6 Core(s)
NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition 8GB GDDR6
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming LGA 1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C16 2x16GB
Corsair H100i V2 Liquid Cooling system
Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD
EVGA Supernova 1000W Power Supply
CORSAIR Obsidian Series 750D Full-Tower Case

Overclock I can't entirely say, I am still learning how.

Nice system :) To check though, which method are you trying OC with? Manually through the UEFI? AI overclocking using Windows? Do you happen to know any of the specific settings you were messing with? Namely voltages. Those CPUs can get quite toasty when OCing from Intel's choice in TIM. In the process of selling my 8700k and even delidded ran on the warm side.

Jan 30, 2019

Manually I was following this guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbRauc8gpQM
I used his settings then I started by dropping the voltage down till it started crashing, raised it some but then the temp was still high, upper 80 to low 90c.
That's all I had time to try.

Are you trying the 5.2Ghz with 5.1AVX Offset? If so, that's a tall order for even the 8086K for all-core other that Silicon Lottery winners. I couldn't get that even with my 8700K delidded. I gave up due to high temps and voltage requirements I needed at 5.0Ghz w/ AVX-0. Tried 5.1, but was a no-go even at 1.385 volts(what I needed for 5.0). What voltage are you currently at? The temps and power draw increase dramatically over around 1.3v. If you are using voltage over 1.3, this is likely your problem. To much heat is being produced to get that clockspeed stable.

Jan 30, 2019

Yes, I tried 5.2 w/ AVX-0 I was able to get the core voltage down to somewhere near 1.28v but temp was still the same.

I was thinking about trying this cooling kit:
EK-KIT RGB 360

A kit like that should help being it's more cooling capacity. Are you planning to stick to the max setting at 5.2? A delid would likely be more benificial at that point, but that brings up many folks concerns on here, voids warranty, ect. I sent my previous 8700k to Silicon Lottery for their binning/delid service. Cost around $70 for both.

Jan 30, 2019

I never knew that was a thing lol. I don't want to go down that route though. I think I will try the cooling kit because I like how the pipes look and the RGB's would look great as well.