Liquid cooling, intake or exhaust.

Dec 22, 2018
I plan to get an AIO cooler for a ryzen 2700x. With how I plan to set up the case once i yet the parts i will havr two fans at the front as intakes, the AIO fans and radiator on the top as exhaust, and a fan at the back as exhaust. I have a few questions woth this, one will i need the single fan in the back since the radiator/fan combo is its own exhaust. And my second one is the fact i dont know for 100% if the radiator will fat on the top, or if its too thick. If that is the case i will move it to the front of the case and the two front fans to the top of the case, should the radiator/fan combo be intake and one of the top fabs also intake, with the other top fan and the back fan being exhaust. Or should i still use the radiator/fan combo as exhaust and have both top fans as intake? Help would be appreciated thank you.

Solution
personally, i suggest, if you have to mount the rad at the front, to remove the front filter (if there is one) and have the rad fans exhausting out the front, and reverse the rear exhaust and reverse it so it's blowing in as well as mounting what were the two front fans at the top blowing in. I'm not sure why you'd want to blow heated air into the case, and doing as i just described, you'll have cold air hitting your motherboard, VRM & Ram -plus the case will have positive air pressure, which will help feed air to the fans pusing air thru the radiator

fwiw

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you mount the Rad/Fan at the top, use it as exhaust since the front fans are sufficient to keep fresh, ambient air entering the case and thus providing cool air for the Rad. You probably won't need the rear exhaust fan with the dual 120MM (?) Rad fans pulling air out of the case at the top.

If you mount the Rad/Fan assembly at the front of the case, use them as intake. I would mount the previously installed front fans at the top of the case as exhaust (both). The rear exhaust fan is probably not needed, but won't hurt to leave it in.

It's not a good idea to use one top fan as exhaust and one as intake. That can set up a closed loop of air moving in and out of the case from fan to fan.

personally, i suggest, if you have to mount the rad at the front, to remove the front filter (if there is one) and have the rad fans exhausting out the front, and reverse the rear exhaust and reverse it so it's blowing in as well as mounting what were the two front fans at the top blowing in. I'm not sure why you'd want to blow heated air into the case, and doing as i just described, you'll have cold air hitting your motherboard, VRM & Ram -plus the case will have positive air pressure, which will help feed air to the fans pusing air thru the radiator

fwiw

Solution