Liquid Cooling On A PSU? FSP Will Release One At Computex 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glock24

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014
This is silly, a properly designed and efficient PSU generates little waste heat and is silent, even under load. This seems like a marketing trick for the all water-cooled crowd.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
As far as I can tell they use a non-conductive liquid, so this is why they call it liquid-cooling and not water cooling. Koolance used a hybrid liquid/water cooling in its PSUs back in the day as well. It is way too risky to use water at the internals of a PSU but they are liquids which are non-conductive.

Waiting for a sample of it and see how it goes under real life conditions.

Yeah. They will sell like 50 of these to build showroom type PC's and that's really it. With Platinum or Titanium rated PSU's you really don't have much need for more cooling.

I hear you, figured they would. Only problem is this isn't sealed has a fan so will get dirty over time. Im guessing all that contamination would probably make a leak suck pretty bad inside of a PSU. Maybe Im wrong would love to see a test of that(dust /dirt plus liquid pored into the PSU) for science, lol or just to blow up a PSU.

Gimpy idea if I ever heard of one. The only time PSUs ever run into thermal and wattage output problems is when they are cheap and don't run at full wattage past a certain temp. What's next? Water cooling a dedicated sound card?

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Heh, a Water cooled sound card.

The Asus Xonar DXH2O?

The Creative SoundBlaster Hydro?

What's next? A water cooled RAID card?

Most water-cooled PSUs I have seen to not use rubber tubing on the inside, they generally have copper or some other metal piping, so a leak would be extremely unlikely. Any leak would probably happen outside of the PSU where the rubber tubing connects.

People would get it for the same reason they would get a GTX 1080 over a GTX 1060 which can play the same games but at lower settings. It brings the purchaser pleasure. With a better GPU, better graphics brings more pleasure. With a water-cooled PSU, it's a gimmick that brings pleasure. It's all about those endorphins.

0ldsch00l

Notable
May 9, 2017
Yes endorphins produce ep33ns biggerness I guess :/

Meh I wont even water my CPU. Thats all I focus on is bleeding CPU, good old delta with tower HSF does the job :D

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
This better come with audiophile grade pre-broken in double hand polished unidirectional power cables, an ambient field conditioner, and a wooden power switch or I'll know FSP isn't genuinely serious about releasing a high end PSU deserving of water cooling.

0ldsch00l

Notable
May 9, 2017

IMHO they should start making PSU geared towards mining market, with custom boxes to allow say cooling 7x dual GPU vega with single slot cooling, think of the power requierments, usually you have to bridge two PSUs, why not make a say 3 kW PSU for mining? Ohh wait I think standard home outlets break at 2400w.... Hmm think time

Yeah that wouldn't work.

mrmez

Splendid
With components needing less and less power, this sounds like a shrinking market.

In 2008 I bought a 750w PSU expecting to 'grow into it'. Despite numerous upgrades I've needed less and less power as the years roll on. Gone are the days where you need 1,000w for a SLI/CF system.

NamelessBryan

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2014
Excuse the question from a water cooling novice, but how would you drain a loop with this thing in it? PSU is at the bottom of most enthusiast cases. Wouldn't you need to fit your drain below the PSU?

Likely you would use a case that has the PSU on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.