Question Liquid Cooling - Static Pressure or Magnetic Levitation Fans?!

ganymede-

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Hi, I had a question regarding the type of 120mm fans that should be used with a liquid cooling system. A couple years back, I purchased a Corsair H100i liquid CPU Cooler, and I was told that it was important to use Static Pressure (SP) fans, and I did purchase two Corsair Static Pressure (SP), which worked very well for me over the years, and they were very quiet too.

Fast forward to now and I’m again buying another Corsair H100i 240mm, which is much more powerful than my unit from five years ago. However, I noticed that Corsair Liquid Cooling System now comes with two Magnetic Levitation (ML) 120mm fans instead of a fans from their current line of Static Pressure fans.

I will add that I already have one Corsair Magnetic Levitation (ML) 120mm fan that I purchased two years ago as an exhaust fan in the back of my build, which is quiet too.

I was wondering if anyone knew why Corsair had switched from Static Pressure (SP) 120mm fans to the Magnetic Levitation (ML) fans?

I assume that the Magnetic Levitation (ML) fans are superior because they basically float or levitate inside the fan cage, and so they do not produce friction or anything that would make unwanted sound. So that sounds like a good reason to switch fans; however, do not SP fans provide something unique to their design that helps cool the radiator than other types of one do not offer?

If anyone has an good answer to my question, I would be thankful if you provided it. Thanks.

As opposed to high air flow fans, where the blades are designed to move as much air as possible, static pressure fans have blade designs that allow them to move air through high back pressure flow columns, such as radiators or cases with high flow impedance.

Magnetic levitation fans are so named because of the fan bearing design, and the designation of "magnetic levitation" has no relation to the design of the fan blades themselves. You can have magnetic levitation fans having the primary purpose of high CFM air flow, or that of developing high static pressure.

Likewise, you can buy fans having ball bearing designs, or sleeve bearing designs. In short, the bearing technology does not imply the use to which a fan is to be put.

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
Corsair still has SP fans (RGB, of course). But the Mag Lev (ML) fans offer as good or better static pressure and are much quieter at the same speed. Plus, they will (allegedly) last longer as there's nothing to wear out.