Question liquid damage.

elvis8900

Commendable
Nov 24, 2017
Ok, so the story is this. My brother had a tower pc. Their cat jumped up on the desk. The cat knocked over some liquid that poured down the vents for the fans in the top of the tower. The liquid pooled in the bottom of the tower. Is this machine permanently dead? I can try to get more details about the motherboard, and other hardware. I just want an opinion about what the out look on this machine is. Thank you for your time.

Impossible to say.
If the system was running, and shutdown when this happened, then its likely that at least part of the system is dead.
If it was off, and sufficiently well cleaned, then there is a fair chance it would be okay.
Try to find out what exactly the system was doing, and what exactly got liquid on it.

I am now in possession of a system that same thing happened last year. The person thought it was dead. It wouldn't display anything when turned on. The liquid had gotten on the GPU (no backplate). I honestly don't konw if the system was running, I believe it was. He let it sit there for a few weeks while using his laptop. I wanted some of the parts so I bought the system from him for a reduced price. I got it home and it struggled to boot. But after removing the GPU and testing it in another system it worked. The whole system worked.

But, as @Gam3r01 said, it's impossible to say for sure.

elvis8900

Commendable
Nov 24, 2017
This machine won't power up at all. My nephew ( who the machine is for) is pretty set on the case. Where would I find the case specs? What's the best place to find older parts? ebay?