Question Liquid in CM EVO 212?

Aug 20, 2019
Is there a small amount of liquid in the CM EVO 212 heat pipes? I have an older system running an AMD A6 7400k. Idle temps are around 55C. Windows 10 does push this processor to 100% around 20% of the time. Extended stress tests hover around 80C at stock clock speeds. I upgraded to the EVO recently...but never checked the temps on the stock cooler. It is a HTPC and the old fan whined a lot so it had to go. I rarely use this PC. 55C idle seems like quite a high temp for a dual core processor. I have heard that there is a small amount of liquid in the pipes that evaporates and then condenses in the fins. If this is the case..is there a possibility that the liquid has left the pipes and the cooler is faulty? Also, I have tried a bunch of different temp monitoring apps and they all seem to act strange. The only consistent ones seem to be Speccy, HWinfo, and the BIOS. Also, after I installed the AMD OverDrive app (which also displayed an odd reading)..some of the temp programs were reporting below room temp (near 0C)..which is not possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
What are your ambient air temps? You might also want to share your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Which version of Windows 10 are you on? Latest BIOS for your motherboard?

I've edited your post. This is a family friendly site.
Watch the language.
Lutfij

Is there a small amount of liquid in the CM EVO 212 heat pipes? I have an older system running an AMD A6 7400k. Idle temps are around 55C. Windows 10 does push this processor to 100% around 20% of the time. Extended stress tests hover around 80C at stock clock speeds. I upgraded to the EVO recently...but never checked the temps on the stock cooler. It is a HTPC and the old fan whined a lot so it had to go. I rarely use this PC. 55C idle seems like quite a high temp for a dual core processor. I have heard that there is a small amount of liquid in the pipes that evaporates and then condenses in the fins. If this is the case..is there a possibility that the liquid has left the pipes and the cooler is faulty? Also, I have tried a bunch of different temp monitoring apps and they all seem to act strange. The only consistent ones seem to be Speccy, HWinfo, and the BIOS. Also, after I installed the AMD OverDrive app (which also displayed an odd reading)..some of the temp programs were reporting below room temp (near 0C)..which is not possible.
There is a very small amount of fast evaporating liquid in those pipes but thy are weld sealed inside the pipes and unless physically damaged it can't leak out.

Aug 20, 2019
OK. I seemed to have figured out the issue. I read that for the A6 processors (and some others)...all the temp apps and even the BIOS are wrong when reporting temperature. You apparently can only trust the overdrive app provided by AMD. After downloading this app...and running a stress test for over 20 minutes...the OverDrive app reported 35C with a 35C thermal margin during most of the test. Both cores stayed at near 100%. Temp never went over 37C. Happy now that I can safely run fans on silent..

TRENDING THREADS