[SOLVED] Liquid Metal (Conductonaut) amount on 8700k die

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I going to delid my 8700k next week. I read and watched several tutorials but still want to verify one thing:

How much liquid metal to apply to the die and the inside of the IHS? Is one small drop on each enough for the 8700k? I know it should cover all even showing streaks, no puddles.

Supposedly too much is not good, and too little can be very dangerous either.

who delidded the 8700k and how much liquid metal did you use?

Thanks.

Also, now a real dumb question. if applied correctly, there is no risk of the liquid metal to slowly rinse out of the CPU when the CPU is install vertically in my computer? Probably not, just want to make sure.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Delidding done and successful, dropped temps by between 15C and 21C depending on type of stress test and core. I used a tiny drop on the die and tiny drop on the inside of the IHS. I was able to spread it out real nice with out any pools of liquid. This was much easier than expected. I hesitated a long time doing it, but it turned out to be quite simple, took exactly 3 hrs, preparing, taking out cpu, delidding, cleaning silicone glue and thermal past, applying LM, resealing with silicone rubber, curing, putting computer, installing dark rock pro 3 (most difficult thing of the whole procedure).

Reactions: TJ Hooker