[SOLVED] Liquid metal cooling in Laptops

Aug 8, 2020
Hey. So i was wondering if it would be a good idea to get liquid metal on both the cpu and gpu, in laptops.

HIDevolution and Eluktronics offer this option. I've heard some bad things about liquid metal on gpus, so I would greatly appreciate any info on this topic.

Also, does liquid metal need to be replaced like thermal paste? I've heard people say that liquid metal gets absorbed by the copper heatsink, and needs to be replaced every 6 to 8 months or so. How accurate is this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
There are more than one brand offering Liquid Metal as a thermal paste which is why I was looking at the no for the replacement. If you're looking at Thermal Grizzly's offering, then yes you can replace it but IMHO it's all down to how often you want to do it. Yes the place you're buying the laptop from will do it for you but you need to maintain the reapplication of the TIM once you see temps go up, which is more likely a hassle that you don't need to add in your equation.

I'd stick with high quality thermal paste that you can replace at your home when you see temps go up after a year or so.
Aug 8, 2020
No, it can't be replaced, it's a one time thing and yes the temps do drop but I'd advise against it and leave the stock cooling solution as is, just replace the TIM with something high quality.
What exactly do you mean by "can't be replaced"? I've seen people talking about replacing liquid metal. My question was if they NEED to be replaced. Does it?

I'm getting a laptop from HID/ Eluktronics. So I don't have to deal with the hassle of applying it. Hence why I asked.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020
How good is Eluktronics with their liquid metal application? I'm looking to buy a laptop from them and they have the option to apply liquid metal on the cpu. However, I've heard that there are several preparatory steps that need to be taken to ensure that the liquid metal will last for a long time, such as using sand paper, nail polish etc.

Does anyone here have any experience with ordering from Eluktronics? Do they use any of these methods to ensure quality?

Lutfij

Titan
There are more than one brand offering Liquid Metal as a thermal paste which is why I was looking at the no for the replacement. If you're looking at Thermal Grizzly's offering, then yes you can replace it but IMHO it's all down to how often you want to do it. Yes the place you're buying the laptop from will do it for you but you need to maintain the reapplication of the TIM once you see temps go up, which is more likely a hassle that you don't need to add in your equation.

I'd stick with high quality thermal paste that you can replace at your home when you see temps go up after a year or so.

Solution