[SOLVED] Liquid metal for GPU mems?

Mr.Verecetti

Prominent
Mar 17, 2022
Hello there, im planning to mod/improve my heathsink/cooling system of my GPU's (2060 laptop & 3070 TI desktop), im goin to add copper plates all over the GPU mems like this:
613ytjo.png

but the question is here, its safe to use liquid metal on the mems?, i already have used it on my 2060 laptop die without a problem, and i want to know if i can use liquid metal on the mems too, just like this image but instead of thermal paste liquid metal:
qS1xDhU.png

im going to cover the same areas with tape as the image for security, the specific question is if my GPU will burn
or there will be a risk of corrosion (for the gpu mems, not the heatsink) just for the simple fact of putting liquid metal over the memory (not the gpu die), or it could work without problem?, thanks in advanced for your help.

Last edited:
Solution
There's no issue using liquid metal TIM with copper. It's only a problem if you use it with aluminum: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...cts-copper-nickel-and-aluminum-corrosion-test Plus the memory itself is capped with plastic, which I presume is inert.

However, unless you're planning to cover the whole PCB around the memory to contain the liquid metal, you should stick with thermal paste or a thermal pad. Especially since memory doesn't dissipate a lot of power to begin with.
There's no issue using liquid metal TIM with copper. It's only a problem if you use it with aluminum: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...cts-copper-nickel-and-aluminum-corrosion-test Plus the memory itself is capped with plastic, which I presume is inert.

However, unless you're planning to cover the whole PCB around the memory to contain the liquid metal, you should stick with thermal paste or a thermal pad. Especially since memory doesn't dissipate a lot of power to begin with.

Reactions: Mr.Verecetti
Solution
With liquid metal it will only "Attach" to the copper not the memory.
It is not an ideal solution. You could end up with air bubbles and make things worse.
This does not even take into account how conductive it is.
The tape might work. Maybe.
A better option would be wire lacquer or conformal coating the board around the memory chips.
There is a high risk of mistake for a MAYBE few degrees temp difference.

Reactions: Mr.Verecetti