[SOLVED] Liquid Metal Shorted GPU and MOBO

Sep 16, 2019
So I reseated my aftermarket GPU cooler on my Ref. Vega 56 with liquid metal. I'm pretty sure some liquid metal got underneath the gpu die and the pcb (Could see it afterwards). Upon first boot I could post but windows would just black screen, the Vega tach. meter would go 100% then 0% then slowly rise back to 100% over and over again while getting hot. Soon after my computer wouldn't turn on, it would turn on for a .5 second then immediate turn back off. So I'm not sure if the GPU and MOBO is gone and if either is fixable.

Solution
Most likely if your GPU is now dead and is causing the system to not power. The best way to test is to test with either another GPU or if you have a system with an iGPU, any of the AMD APUs or pretty much any Intel system, pull the GPU and try to power on.

The GPU most likely is not fixable nor would it be able to be warrantied. Thats part of the risk of using a liquid metal based TIM and in my opinion is not worth the few degrees gains.
Most likely if your GPU is now dead and is causing the system to not power. The best way to test is to test with either another GPU or if you have a system with an iGPU, any of the AMD APUs or pretty much any Intel system, pull the GPU and try to power on.

The GPU most likely is not fixable nor would it be able to be warrantied. Thats part of the risk of using a liquid metal based TIM and in my opinion is not worth the few degrees gains.

Solution
Sep 16, 2019
Sorry my setup is:

Ryzen 5 2600 with Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Ref. Vega 56 with aftermarket Raijentek Cooler
Asus Prime B450-A MOBO
600W EVGA Bronze PSU

You would need to get a working GPU in your case as that CPU does not have any iGPU to test with.

You might be able to remove the GPU and try to power the system on and it may power on but not POST, might even beep at you. Otherwise you will need to purchase or borrow a good GPU to test and see if the system is still good.