Liquid or air cooling i7 8700k

Dibbley247

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
I pretty much now know what i want in my next build. But debating whether to go liquid or air cooled for the i7 8700k.
It'll be paired with a GTX 1080ti.

I do like the look of those NZXT x42 coolers, but wondering if they're any good, or is there any smart looking fan cooling options available?
I would like a bit of RGB (one colour), but not overkill (which is why i liked the look of the x42), it'll be sat on a Gigabyte aorus gaming 7 board.

Thanks

norcalsc

Respectable
liquid cooling will usually allow for better overclocking, but it the end you can OC on AIR so it's really a preference thing. I kind of like the look of a water cooler instead of a huge heatsink with a fan on it. water cooling is cheap enough these days and parts are readily available so AIO or custom loop, pick your poisen

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I am still a big fan of qualitifed air cooling solutions as over here in Europe we focus more and silent PCs. AIO solutions usually produce a lot of noise and custom based liquid solutions are by far too expensive.
My recommendation for your 8700k would be the BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 Pro. A big and great air cooler! :)

I have the same motherboard and an overclocked 8700K with a 360 AIO the Corsair H150i Pro. The NZXT will do a good job and to be honest, I far prefer an AIO as not having a huge lump of metal hanging of my CPU was just too much especially when making changes.

I will say a good Air Cooler like a Noctua or the Dark Rock 4 Pro as suggested will also do a good job, but I do disagree on the noise as a good AIO with a decent set of fans will run more than quietly enough and as importantly cool at the top end a little better. In my case the Corsair H150i Pro has some Mag Lev fans and they are fantastically quiet and yet cool my 4.9GHz overclock with ease

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS