Question List of compatible graphics cards

Dec 2, 2021
Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction to a list of compatible graphics cards for my motherboard / system? I do a lot of 3D modeling and some minor animation and my ancient Quadro 6000 can't keep up. Trying to figure out the multitude of variables on the HP site is way too confusing for someone technologically challenged like me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. System specs are below.

OS Version - Windows 10 Pro
System Manufacturer - Hewlett-Packard
System Model - HP Z800 Workstation
System Type - x64-based PC
System SKU - FF825AV
Processors (2) - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @ 3.47 GHz, 3459 Mhz, 6 cores
BIOS Version / Date - Hewlett-Packard 786G5 v03.57, 7 / 15 / 2013
SMBIOS Version - 2.6
Embedded Controller Version - 255.255
BIOS Mode - Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer - Hewlett-Packard
BaseBoard Product - 0AECh
BaseBoard Version - D
Platform Role - Workstation

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You have BIOS updates pending on that workstation. Update to V3.60 then V3.61.

Sadly any GPU upgrade that you will go for will need a higher end PSU, assuming you didn't replace or upgrade the PSU that came bundled from the factory in the prebuilt. Out of curiosity, what is the age of the PSU, if you're the only owner of the platform? What sort of app's task's do you perform on your workstation? IMHO, I think you're in need of a platform change as opposed to dropping in a higher pedigree GPU into that prebuilt workstation.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not seeing any particularly small PSUs from that workstation. Marketing images show a Quadro FX4800 being powered with a single 6-pin PCIe connector, so it likely has that.

I imagine most 10.5" dual slot graphics cards will do fine, just need to know how many PCIe power connectors are in there if you want to go above 150W.

Still, that leaves a lot of GPUs. Here is a list of cards that require a 6-pin connector, there will be many more that don't require external power.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#I=15000000000,150000000000&Q=1&sort=price&page=1

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You have BIOS updates pending on that workstation. Update to V3.60 then V3.61.

Sadly any GPU upgrade that you will go for will need a higher end PSU, assuming you didn't replace or upgrade the PSU that came bundled from the factory in the prebuilt. Out of curiosity, what is the age of the PSU, if you're the only owner of the platform? What sort of app's task's do you perform on your workstation? IMHO, I think you're in need of a platform change as opposed to dropping in a higher pedigree GPU into that prebuilt workstation.

I never understood the UEFI/BIOS stepwise increase. If they are a competent coder, they should be fully backwards compatible unless they are quite literally using every byte of firmware. For example the code below is a few bytes. The var offset table is a few bytes.

C:
DWORD GetVarLocation(float oldVersion)

{

DWORD offsetIndex = 0;

switch oldVersion

{

case 1.0:
             offsetIndex =0;

break;

case 1.1125:

offsetIndex = 1;

break;

case 2.0:

offsetIndex = 2;

break;

default:

offsetIndex = ABORT_UPDATE;

break;

}

return offsetIndex;

}

Dec 2, 2021
@Lutfij,
Thank you very much for the welcome and for your reply. I have a 1110 W PSU. Not sure how old, but I can check. I do a lot of 3D rendering and some minor animation, which is very demanding graphically. I bought this workstation a few years ago with the intention of upgrading it as I went, but I had no idea how confusing computer hardware could be. Thank you for the links, I'm going to upgrade my bios now.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021
Clicked on the link and HP could not find my operating system (Windows 10 Pro) and did not have it listed on the manual search. Downloaded HP Assistant. I'm not certain if it's just me, but I found it to be one of the most confusing and useless tools I've ever used. Apologies for the tech ignorance, but I am completely lost right now.