Question List of GPU's using a vapor chamber in their GPU cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Do any of you know of a list of GPU's that use a vaper chamber in their GPU cooler with regards to the Ati 7000 series and the Nvidia 4000 series?

Dunno about 7000 but the Dell HD6450 was rather infamous for the vapor chamber swelling up because it was passively cooled.
vX-4ICDDKlQfdNLxX8FdadrGHTrpeKdLzjYYvORXRtE.jpg

notice it has deformed enough to snap off a mounting post

InvalidError

Titan
Do any of you know of a list of GPU's that use a vaper chamber in their GPU cooler with regards to the Ati 7000 series and the Nvidia 4000 series?
That would be most if not all of them apart from liquid-cooled ones.

Vapor chambers have been practically standard on just about anything above 150W for a while. On lowish-power GPUs, the vapor chamber covers little more than GPU die area while on high-power GPUs, the vapor chamber can span almost the entire PCB.

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
That would be most if not all of them

No offense, but I did not ask if some cards have it :D

Here are two example from the Nvidia 4000 series where the manufacturer describes the cooling used for the cards:

Has a vapor chamber:
https://storage-asset.msi.com/datasheet/vga/africa/GeForce-RTX-4080-16GB-SUPRIM-X.pdf

Doesn't have a vapor chamber:
https://storage-asset.msi.com/datasheet/vga/global/GeForce-RTX-4070-Ti-GAMING-X-TRIO-12G.pdf

As you can see some cards use a vapor chamber for cooling, and some don't. Some manufacturers don't even mention if their cards have a vapor chamber or not in their data sheet/spec, or they obfuscate it, for example Gigabyte:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N4080GAMING-OC-16GD/sp#sp
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N4080WF3-16GD/sp#sp

I know some 4080 cards don't have a vapor chamber, for example some of PNY's cards. I haven't found a 4090 card that doesn't have a vapor chamber yet, but I can't know for sure, because some manufacturers obfuscate their specifications.

So to save time, I wondered if someone knew of a list that describes it. I found an older list, but it hasn't been maintained since 2020.

Last edited:
If what you're after is to keep people informed on which cards use a vapor chamber and which don't on some attempt to tell people to avoid non vapor chamber cards, I hate to say this is really just a misguided attempt to help.

Vapor chambers add a significant cost to the final product. For example the MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio doesn't use a vapor chamber and at the time of this post, costs $1275. The ASUS RTX 4080 STRIX OC uses a vapor chamber, but adds $200. And if I went with TechPowerUp's review that has a neat table of various cards, the MSI card can get within 2-3 degrees all around with apparently less noise too. So a 15% cost to gain about 5% cooling performance. No thanks.

Besides that, tuning these cards even further to maximize their efficiency makes needing a vapor chamber less of a need. I have an MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio and because I don't demand uber gaming performance (I actually cap the FPS to 120), the card rarely peaks over 200W. It was originally designed with a 285W TBP. And even if I let it bare its fangs, it seems to never get above 260W.

If anything, we know which brand tiers manufacturers use to determine the "cheapest" version to the "most expensive" version. Gigabyte's Windforce is their branding for the cheapest of that video card, while the Gaming OC is midrange branding with Auros being the high-end branding. But the thing is, it's almost never worth getting the high-end branding of these cards. Why? They're tuner cards. They're leaderboard cards. They're bragging rights cards. Unless you're willing to spend the time to tweak the snot out of every slider on them, you're not using them for their intended purpose. But the real kick in the nuts is even when you start getting into the top 10 of 3DMark, the performance isn't even all that great.

As an example, the best score I was able to get out of 3DMark Time Spy and Speedway is within 7% of the top scorer on 3DMark for the RTX 4070 Ti. Assuming the top scorer used something like an ASUS ROG STRIX or a MSI SUPRIM card to get the overclock that they did, they would've had to spend 20% more than what I did for my Gaming X Trio. For up to 7% better performance.

No thanks.

There was only one ATI 7000 series, which included the DX7 Rage 6 7000-7500 from 2000-2001. HD7000 series came after the company was absorbed into AMD in 2006, as did the current RX7000 series so those are all AMD. I don't believe there was ever a 7000 series that came with a vapor chamber as Sapphire didn't use them until HD2000 and were probably first to do so.

nVidia had the DX8 Ti4200-4600 just a year after the ATI 7000 series, and I don't believe any of those ever came with a vapor chamber either--although eVGA had a heatpipe connecting the memory chips but it strangely did not cover the GPU die. Their current gen is commonly referred to as the RTX 40 series.

So the list should be pretty easy, and short.

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
get within 2-3 degrees all around with apparently less noise too. So a 15% cost to gain about 5% cooling performance. No thanks.

That's your personal opinion, which I was already aware of that many people have. Some of us want the best cards, you don't. Did you intend to troll the thread or provide information that is helpful to the question? So far you have replied twice, and not provided a list. Let me repeat the entire post for you:

With a vapor chamber we can lower the fanspeed and get even less noise. And depending on the frequency of the noise, lowering it by 5dB can lower the perceived noise by 50 percent. You don't care about it, others do. But I am getting off topic here (thanks to you), this is not a thread asking about "do you want to pay more for less noise" or the like, not to mention that the more expensive cards have higher quality components (higher power limit, VRM, mem current, etc).

Last edited:
That's your personal opinion, which I was already aware of that many people have. Some of us want the best cards, you don't. Did you intend to troll the thread or provide information that is helpful to the question? So far you have replied twice, and not provided a list. Let me repeat the entire post for you:
I intend to provide information, and sure some of this information is laced with my personal opinion.

In any case, if a Google search isn't working for you in trying to find a list, maybe you should make your own and spread the word. But the thing is, whether or not a vapor chamber was used in a particular video card depended on the manufacturer of the video card. Even RTX 4090 cards don't all have vapor chamber coolers (e.g., MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio).

And if you just want the best video cards, then here's a list of each AIB's "top tier" branding:
  • ASUS: ROG STRIX
  • EVGA: KINGPIN
  • Gigabyte: Auros
  • MSI: SUPRIM
  • Zotac: AMP Extreme
(the others like Colorful, Inno3D, Palit, or PNY I'm not familiar but am feeling too lazy to see what their top-tier branding is)

Anyway, have fun.

Last edited:
Lets keep things civil here.
You are going to get ongoing discussion about your topic, thats how the forum system works. Hearing various opinions about the topic, especially since you plan to use this as a resource to help people, should be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.