[SOLVED] List of original or required files in programs and features

Sep 2, 2019
Hi,

I have Windows 10. I am trying to thin out the programs and features. Some time ago for uni I installed a huge VS2015 application just to cover all bases because I was constantly having issues with things not working. I therefore just did a complete install of pretty much everything.

Recently I uninstalled VS2015 (which did free up lots of space) but I still think there are apps there that I can get rid of... I just don't know if they should be there or not. I was wondering if there was a list I could compare to so that I can safely uninstall what I do not want. Kind of like a default list maybe.

Just
as an example: I have this:
Microsoft .NET Core 1.0.1 - VS2015 Tooling Preview 2

That looks very much like something that should have been uninstalled!

Thank you

Solution
Part of the reason I have been doing all this is to prepare the computer for 1903 update. I can download and install it (after freakin' hours and hours!) but it will not configure.
if you have a slow connection, and keep having problems like that, I would suggest downloading the , download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and use it to update, as if it fails, you don't have to download it all again.
Sep 2, 2019
I see what you are saying. I think it would possibly be too labor intensive but I will have another look maybe.

I have in the meantime experimented with various ways of looking at the list. Obviously clicking the size field shows which is more of a priority but I think looking at the dates gives a better view. I might be able to work things out simply by looking at the date timeline

...but there is one odd thing on there. It seems on one date I apparently installed a great big load of stuff altogether. I cannot quite work out why it is but it must be some kind of reset or reinstall of the OS because the list is bizarre. It even says I installed the on-board sound-card on that date too.

USAFRet

Titan
...but there is one odd thing on there. It seems on one date I apparently installed a great big load of stuff altogether. I cannot quite work out why it is but it must be some kind of reset or reinstall of the OS because the list is bizarre. It even says I installed the on-board sound-card on that date too.
A recent semi-annual Windows feature update would have done that. v1809 or v1903.

Sep 2, 2019
Oh I see - it was all 18 May 2018. I just checked and it was indeed done on that date. I have now realized then that I am still on 1803.

Part of the reason I have been doing all this is to prepare the computer for 1903 update. I can download and install it (after freakin' hours and hours!) but it will not configure.

I just want to remove as much junk as I can and hopefully it will install it quicker because there will be less junk for it to "ponder" over, or whatever it seems to be doing when it sits there for hours seemingly doing nothing (and then breaking and restarting in 1803).

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you have a slow connection, and keep having problems like that, I would suggest downloading the , download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and use it to update, as if it fails, you don't have to download it all again.

Solution
Sep 2, 2019
OK, thank you for that but it appears it may not be necessary now. With regards to the original question I asked, it appears there are NO programs in "Programs and Features" at all in a new install!

I have had to do a reinstall of Win10. I possibly could have repaired it (put MBR on correct drive) but seemingly I was using UEFI for DVD drive boot selection... But anyway, it was probably a good move to reinstall anyway. It is running like a dream now. I can actually play guild wars 2 and it responds immediately when I do things (not 3 seconds later).

I am scared to install anything now because it may add some process in the background. It has done a bunch of updates already and it has not really slowed down yet seemingly.

Colif

Win 11 Master
OK, thank you for that but it appears it may not be necessary now. With regards to the original question I asked, it appears there are NO programs in "Programs and Features" at all in a new install!

I have had to do a reinstall of Win10. I possibly could have repaired it (put MBR on correct drive) but seemingly I was using UEFI for DVD drive boot selection... But anyway, it was probably a good move to reinstall anyway. It is running like a dream now. I can actually play guild wars 2 and it responds immediately when I do things (not 3 seconds later).

I am scared to install anything now because it may add some process in the background. It has done a bunch of updates already and it has not really slowed down yet seemingly.

well, Good luck going forward :)