List your favorite rpg game

List you favorite rpg game, give a rating, and tell the site.

In article <1106949726.984621.73690@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
prnaychopra@gmail.com says...

>List you favorite rpg game, give a rating, and tell the site.

Might & Magic 1.

Of course, this is the hundredth or so time this question has been asked and
answered in this newsgroup. I quess someone always posts it again when not much
else is happening.

http://users.erols.com/kennrice
Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.

prnaychopra@gmail.com skrev i meddelelsen news:1106949726.984621.73690
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> List you favorite rpg game, give a rating, and tell the site.

The Dungeons of Moria:
Requires at least 640 kb RAM and an x386-processor, so you better upgrade
your computer for this baby (freeware):

http://www.phyton.dk/gameutils/m552-386.zip

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

In article <41faef61$0$311$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>, this@ress.is.invalid
says...

>prnaychopra@gmail.com skrev i meddelelsen news:1106949726.984621.73690
>@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

>> List you favorite rpg game, give a rating, and tell the site.

>The Dungeons of Moria:
>Requires at least 640 kb RAM and an x386-processor, so you better upgrade
>your computer for this baby (freeware):

>http://www.phyton.dk/gameutils/m552-386.zip

I might have to downgrade to meet those requirements.

Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote:
>The Dungeons of Moria:

I like Angband better. Having a monster than can automatically kill
any player with no defence is not a good design decision in a game that
doesn't let you reload after you die.

>Requires at least 640 kb RAM and an x386-processor, so you better upgrade
>your computer for this baby (freeware):

I'm sure you can find a version with lower requirements.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:07:16 +0000 (UTC), rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross
Ridge) wrote:

>Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote:
>>The Dungeons of Moria:
>
>I like Angband better. Having a monster than can automatically kill
>any player with no defence is not a good design decision in a game that
>doesn't let you reload after you die.

Insta-killing is possible in Angband

For example, the Great Wyrm of Many Colours can inflict 500 damage in an
instant breath attack. While most players are above that amount, this
unique can summon additional dragons that also have powerful breath
attacks.

The counter to this is to teleport away when things become intense, but
there are a few cases where you don't have the time to escape (e.g. the
Great Wyrm next to a DracoLich, both of which can breathe at the same time,
annihilating your character.)

Raymond Martineau <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote:
>Insta-killing is possible in Angband

Insta-killing is "possible" in any game. The problem is when it's
impossible to defend against. You can't possibly have enough hit points
or resistance or anything else that would let a Moria player survive an
Ancient Multi-Hued Dragon (AMHD) breathing on you.

>For example, the Great Wyrm of Many Colours can inflict 500 damage in an
>instant breath attack.

That's nothing. You can defend against this by having more than 500
HP and/or the appropriate resistances.

> While most players are above that amount, this unique can summon
>additional dragons that also have powerful breath attacks.
>
>The counter to this is to teleport away when things become intense...

A scroll of destruction is a much more reliable way of surviving such
an encounter.

> but there are a few cases where you don't have the time to escape
>(e.g. the Great Wyrm next to a DracoLich, both of which can breathe at
>the same time, annihilating your character.)

I've never encountered such a case. On the other hand getting one-shotted
by an AMHD you never saw is not an uncommon occurance in Moria for any
player that manages gets low enough in the dungeon. Once you get to
the levels where they appear surviving becomes more dependent on luck
than skill. This is bad game design.

Ross Ridge

--

Yeah. Each time my @ sees a D he shudders... :)

> That's nothing. You can defend against this by having more than 500
> HP and/or the appropriate resistances.

Or be an expert at the Dragon Dance... :)

> I've never encountered such a case. On the other hand getting
> one-shotted by an AMHD you never saw is not an uncommon occurance in
> Moria for any player that manages gets low enough in the dungeon.
> Once you get to the levels where they appear surviving becomes more
> dependent on luck than skill. This is bad game design.

Did you ever beat the Balrog? I didn't... :'-(

--

> I'm sure you can find a version with lower requirements.

Yes, this is the super-tweaked-up hi-tech version. I used to play it a LOT
on my first PC (IBM PS/2-30, 8086 processor, 640 kb RAM, MCGA graphics, 20
MB HD...) - but I couldn't find any older version last time I looked.

[http://www.piratehaven.org/~beej/moria/]

--

Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> skrev i meddelelsen

> Yes, this is the super-tweaked-up hi-tech version. I used to play it a

"it" - meaning the ancient version. Not the advanced one. Jeez, I really
need to learn to read my msgs before pressing "Send"... :)

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm

> Of course, this is the hundredth or so time this question has
> been asked and answered in this newsgroup. I quess someone
> always posts it again when not much else is happening.

True, but the answers might change over time :)

--
Iphigenie

Games of the moment: Spellforce, Sacred, HL2
Most wanted games: Call of Cthulhu, SWAT4

http://iphi.net
Iphi's game news: http://www.iphi.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi?mode=games
Iphi's UK bargain watch: http://www.iphi.net/more.php?id=102_0_1_0_M

In article <Xns95EDF24921FDiphi@130.133.1.4>, Iphigenie <iphi@imagis.ch> wrote:

>> Of course, this is the hundredth or so time this question has
>> been asked and answered in this newsgroup. I quess someone
>> always posts it again when not much else is happening.
>
>True, but the answers might change over time :)

..and there's always a new generation joining the group.

I recall when regular bars and pubs in my city [ as opposed to nightclubs ]
started to have strippers. I was young--they were great. Some decades later
they are still going strong. I asked a stripper once why hasn't the attraction got
stale and disappeared ? She replied, " There's always a new group of 19 yr
olds coming along ".

And it's true. When I see topics, questions, debates on newsgroups which are
old hat to me--I have to remind myself they're new and fresh to many others.

Jim

Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote:
>Did you ever beat the Balrog? I didn't... :'-(

Nope, never really got into Moria. Beat Angband a number of times though

Ross Ridge

--

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:30:39 +0000 (UTC), rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross
Ridge) wrote:

>rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge) wrote:
>>I like Angband better. Having a monster than can automatically kill
>>any player with no defence is not a good design decision in a game that
>>doesn't let you reload after you die.
>
>Raymond Martineau <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote:
>>Insta-killing is possible in Angband
>
>Insta-killing is "possible" in any game. The problem is when it's
>impossible to defend against. You can't possibly have enough hit points
>or resistance or anything else that would let a Moria player survive an
>Ancient Multi-Hued Dragon (AMHD) breathing on you.
>
>>For example, the Great Wyrm of Many Colours can inflict 500 damage in an
>>instant breath attack.
>
>That's nothing. You can defend against this by having more than 500
>HP and/or the appropriate resistances.

Actually, the 500 is after factoring in the resistances. A player around
that depth who doesn't have the most basic of resistances is already dead.

From recent experimentation, summoned monsters (from other monsters) seem
to have a chance of making an attack before you can even make your first
step. Thus, there's always a chance that the single high-level dragon's
summoned monsters can nail you within one round, even if it's unlikely.

>> but there are a few cases where you don't have the time to escape
>>(e.g. the Great Wyrm next to a DracoLich, both of which can breathe at
>>the same time, annihilating your character.)
>
>I've never encountered such a case. On the other hand getting one-shotted
>by an AMHD you never saw is not an uncommon occurance in Moria for any
>player that manages gets low enough in the dungeon. Once you get to
>the levels where they appear surviving becomes more dependent on luck
>than skill. This is bad game design.

It's actually possible. There's always a small chance that you enter a
dungeon next to a monster pit - specifically next to the door (just as what
happened in a recent test run that I was doing). When it opens, almost
every monster in the pit gets a free breath attack or otherwise dangerous
ranged attack. (Of course, it was a Demon pit, meaning that I flee before
being slaughtered.)

IIRC, Moria was designed to be unwinnable. When the author discovered that
one player managed to win the game without cheating, he quietly closed the
loop-hole used and created a new monster in tribute to the victory. It's a
good design, since it meets the requirements perfectly. :)

In article <oMVKd.207249$Xk.136518@pd7tw3no>, bombelly@wahs.ac says...

> .and there's always a new generation joining the group.
>
> I recall when regular bars and pubs in my city [ as opposed to nightclubs ]
> started to have strippers. I was young--they were great. Some decades later
> they are still going strong. I asked a stripper once why hasn't the attraction got
> stale and disappeared ? She replied, " There's always a new group of 19 yr
> olds coming along ".

Do they replace the strippers, too, or is your city a haven for vintage
performers?

- Gerry Quinn

In article <MPG.1c66e88f78667424989d92@news.indigo.ie>
, Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote:

>Do they replace the strippers, too, or is your city a haven for vintage
>performers?
>
>- Gerry Quinn

Vancouver. An old stripper would be in her early 20's :)

Jim

Raymond Martineau <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote:
>IIRC, Moria was designed to be unwinnable. When the author discovered that
>one player managed to win the game without cheating, he quietly closed the
>loop-hole used and created a new monster in tribute to the victory. It's a
>good design, since it meets the requirements perfectly. :)

Designing a game like this to be unwinnable is bad game design.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
-()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/
db //

Bono

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005

On 29 Jan 2005 23:48:40 GMT, Iphigenie <iphi@imagis.ch> wrote:

>> Of course, this is the hundredth or so time this question has
>> been asked and answered in this newsgroup. I quess someone
>> always posts it again when not much else is happening.
>
>True, but the answers might change over time :)

The greatest rpg of all time is, of course, Grimoire. It was created
by the greatest programmer.

bono wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2005 23:48:40 GMT, Iphigenie <iphi@imagis.ch> wrote:
>

>>>Of course, this is the hundredth or so time this question has
>>>been asked and answered in this newsgroup. I quess someone
>>>always posts it again when not much else is happening.
>>
>>True, but the answers might change over time :)
>

> The greatest rpg of all time is, of course, Grimoire. It was created
> by the greatest programmer.

What ever happened to it??? Cleve?

prnaychopra@gmail.com once tried to test me with:

> List you favorite rpg game, give a rating, and tell the site.

World of Warcraft. 9.8 out of 10.

You can get info at www.worldofwarcraft.com.

--

Knight37

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:14:00 -0700, James Garvin wrote:

> bono wrote:

>>>True, but the answers might change over time :)
>>

>> The greatest rpg of all time is, of course, Grimoire. It was created
>> by the greatest programmer.
>
> What ever happened to it??? Cleve?

Well, one night I stormed the bunker, shot him, buried him in a shallow
grave and made myself his doppleganger. He was right all along you know....
<g>
--
RJB
2/1/2005 8:49:33 AM

"Success is that old ABC -- ability, breaks, and courage."
-Charles Luckman

RJB wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:14:00 -0700, James Garvin wrote:
>

>>bono wrote:

>>>The greatest rpg of all time is, of course, Grimoire. It was created
>>>by the greatest programmer.
>>
>>What ever happened to it??? Cleve?
>

> Well, one night I stormed the bunker, shot him, buried him in a shallow
> grave and made myself his doppleganger. He was right all along you know....
> <g>

LOL...Did you see the picture on RPG dot? He makes me look like an
Ethiopian! Cleve, I thought you were 250lbs of pure muscle...

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:01:08 -0700, James Garvin wrote:

> RJB wrote:

>>>What ever happened to it??? Cleve?
>>

>> Well, one night I stormed the bunker, shot him, buried him in a shallow
>> grave and made myself his doppleganger. He was right all along you know....
>> <g>
>
> LOL...Did you see the picture on RPG dot? He makes me look like an
> Ethiopian! Cleve, I thought you were 250lbs of pure muscle...

You mean this one?: http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1016

I can swear I remember him saying once he was in ninja training or
something along those lines. Ever see Beverly Hills Ninja? <g>
--
RJB
2/1/2005 11:58:59 AM

Doh!
--Homer Simpson

RJB wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:01:08 -0700, James Garvin wrote:
>

>>RJB wrote:

>>>Well, one night I stormed the bunker, shot him, buried him in a shallow
>>>grave and made myself his doppleganger. He was right all along you know....
>>><g>
>>
>>LOL...Did you see the picture on RPG dot? He makes me look like an
>>Ethiopian! Cleve, I thought you were 250lbs of pure muscle...
>

> You mean this one?: http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1016
>
> I can swear I remember him saying once he was in ninja training or
> something along those lines. Ever see Beverly Hills Ninja? <g>

ROTFLMAO...That's it!

tron

Pool of Radiance - the old goldbox....
Rating? Umm... whne I was playing it, I thought it was great. Now? It'd get
killed for poor graphics and sound.
The site? Umm... maybe the Underdogs have it. I don't know if SSI is even
around anymore.