[SOLVED] Liteon 280W

May 25, 2020
Hi everyone,

so i'm getting a used PC with following specs:

CPU: i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz
GPU: Gigabyte ATI Radeon 550 2GB
HDD: Seagate 500GB Sata
SSD: Crucial MX500 250GB (m.2 with sata adapter)

After reading a lot of threads on these forums i'm getting mixed signals i guess, is 280W PSU enough?
Here's the picture with the 12V thingy: http://prntscr.com/sndl73
Sorry if it's too blurry, can't get a better one atm.. The +12V column says 216W, and below that it says 254W MAX

I also used an online calculator mentioned in a sticky thread here, and the result is: https://outervision.com/b/ffdDXJ

I noticed that the case has no rear fan, just the CPU one.. if this is let's say borderline enough, would installing a rear fan be the last straw that would break everything or is there at least some room to wiggle?

Hope i did everything right, 1st time posting, thanks in any case!

Solution
It only has 217w on the 12v rail.

Technically the RX550 should have a 400w but it generally draws around 50w depending on the card according to AMD, but it is a slot powered card so it is allowed up to 75w.

GPU: 50w
CPU : 95w tdp
Motherboard things plugged into it (fans, usb devices, ect) 30w or more.
Drives 5-10w

Often times the TDP of a CPU is is lower than the power it draws (tdp is a measure of heat output), so your CPU could draw more power than the 95w tdp.

You are probably nearing 200w under continuous load, and under spike you could get far higher draw than your PSU is rated for.

Sure in a game like Dota that can run on a crap pc from a decade ago, you won't have a lot of power draw. This is not a good way to test if your...
May 25, 2020
Hey, thanks for reply..

i also noticed those official PSU recommendations, but i also read on multiple sites that under 'full load' RX 550 uses 60W?
So I'm guessing they're recommending that PSU for ideal PC with that GPU and other components?

And that PC has been running for over a year, according to my friend who's the owner, and it never had any complications, no BSoD, no random restarts etc.

So I'm still confused kinda, is there something I'm overlooking..

May 25, 2020
Sorry if i'm being annoying, but since i'm stuck with this PSU at least for next couple of months.. i've got one more inquiry..

So we ran the HWMonitor program,
which as far as i understand gives you an estimate of power usage on CPU and GPU, but not necessarily in real-time or exact numbers.
But let's say, hypothetically, it's close..

So we ran the HWMonitor, Dota2 with medium/high settings, browser with YT video running and it says:
Package/IA Cores (i guess that's cpu?) is at ~40W and max is locked at 69.77W
And GPU is at ~17W , max locked at ~21.27

So let's say we take the max values, that's 92W, double it for the rest of the components.. that's 184W.. and PSU max +12V is 216W

And if that's my personal 'maximum load' of the system, am i in the clear of exceeding the maximum PSU wattage which would ultimately lead to it's failure and possibly other components?

It only has 217w on the 12v rail.

Technically the RX550 should have a 400w but it generally draws around 50w depending on the card according to AMD, but it is a slot powered card so it is allowed up to 75w.

GPU: 50w
CPU : 95w tdp
Motherboard things plugged into it (fans, usb devices, ect) 30w or more.
Drives 5-10w

Often times the TDP of a CPU is is lower than the power it draws (tdp is a measure of heat output), so your CPU could draw more power than the 95w tdp.

You are probably nearing 200w under continuous load, and under spike you could get far higher draw than your PSU is rated for.

Sure in a game like Dota that can run on a crap pc from a decade ago, you won't have a lot of power draw. This is not a good way to test if your PSU is adequate.

Actually stress any of the hardware, power draw could spike higher than that PSU is rated for. Even if you just play Dota, its still not a good idea.

Will it work? Maybe. Is it safe? Not at all as it could cause serious issues!

Solution
May 25, 2020
It's like a custom built PC, my friend bought it from a second hand shop a year ago. When i say custom i mean the shop makes it from random parts, puts it in a 'cool' case and sells it.

May 25, 2020
It's pretty common in my country, there's dozens of shops like that.
We have like this domestic "ebay" where people sell their used or even new stuff and there are people who just stock up and create a shop.

USAFRet

Titan
It's pretty common in my country, there's dozens of shops like that.
We have like this domestic "ebay" where people sell their used or even new stuff and there are people who just stock up and create a shop.
And that is where you, the buyer, needs to do the research.

What specific parts...

Stores sell all sorts of crap. Even in the US/UK...iBuyPower, for instance.
ebay is even worse.

May 25, 2020
Haha, thanks for the replies guys :)
So when buying a new one, aside from the dimensions and cables, i just need to get one with at least 250W on the +12V rail?
Or is there something else i should consider?

May 25, 2020
Southeastern Europe :rolleyes:
I looked online but the shipping costs for my country are way up on any site, i guess cause of Covid-19 situtation.. so i'll buy one locally.

Budget is really tight atm, but if i could survive at least a month with this one then i could probably afford a quality one ~400W.
But if i need to replace it ASAP, i could go for 350-400W but i'm not so sure about quality.
Well at least i can get one better quality than the current one.