Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Sometime I use my LiteOn DVD burner to burn movies and play it on my DVD-player, My DVD-player can read some of the discs that I burn but not all. I am using the same brand DVD-R Discs and format when I burn the DVD. What could be the problem here? Thanks

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I'm sorry but looking at your sig you go to the trouble of listing the timings of your ram but all you can say is "Panasonic DVD player", they are not all the same. I know that the newer progressive scan players have more trouble reading DVD-Rs than the older players do, something about lazers being more sensitive. Apparently the really cheap $40 dvd players can play almost anything, not as good picture quality but....

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Another thing is the speed. Make sure you dont burn at the max speed (unless its like 2X then you would have to just so you dont die of old age waiting....) Also make sure your firmware is up to date for your drive this can have a huge impact on disks working or not working :)

here is a good page with firmware's for like 99% of the drives ever made...

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
It's gonna be a killer if I burn at 2x, since I am creating my own DVD, it takes about an hour to complete it. But anyway, I shall give a try. Thanks for the reply guys

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Some ideas to throw out:

If you're rendering the DVD straight to burning, I'd recommend rendering the DVD to your HDD first, then burning it later.

Also make sure the DVD is being finalized.

What happens when your panasonic player won't recognize it? Error or something?

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
JonathanDeane didn't mean burn them at 2X speed, he meant that you shouldn't burn them at MAX speed. I would burn your movies at a moderate speed.

It can also depend the brand of discs your're using. Expect more coasters with cheaper or generic brands especially if your burning at MAX speeds. Also, as noted, you might want to update the firmware of your drive. If the link provided doesn't have your EXACT model, you should be able to obtain it through LiteOn's website. In the past, FireFox didn't seem to like downloading from them (probably a problem at my end), but I.E. works.

Do not use images. RIP your DVD directly to your hard drive in the DVD folder (TS_Audio & TS_Video) format. Then use Nero to burn them from the hard drive to disc. Do not use the DATA DISC method. Nero should have a method to specifically burn DVD Files from your hard drive to a blank disc.

Also, while in Nero, click on the "More" button right before you burn the disc. There are several options you can apply. Unfortunately I cannot remember them exactly, but one will supposedly allow for better readability in stand alone DVD players. It might work for you.

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
It's recognised that DVD burning will produce errors sometimes. Most of the time, the disc errors are completely managable, but, sometimes there are just too many bad bits that the disc cannot be read. How many errors that occur depend on the dvd burner, the disc quality and whether the burn errored during transfer.

As said above, try imaging onto your hard drive, disabling virus scanners/firewall and all other tasks. Make sure you use a good burning software like nero and run it just below max speeds.

Oh, and, it may or may not work but try spitting on your disc and wipe it with a dry cloth from from the center outwards (radially). Sometimes discs get dirty (a spec of dust obscures a bit) and this can make a massive difference.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
JonathanDeane didn't mean burn them at 2X speed, he meant that you shouldn't burn them at MAX speed. I would burn your movies at a moderate speed.

It can also depend the brand of discs your're using. Expect more coasters with cheaper or generic brands especially if your burning at MAX speeds. Also, as noted, you might want to update the firmware of your drive. If the link provided doesn't have your EXACT model, you should be able to obtain it through LiteOn's website. In the past, FireFox didn't seem to like downloading from them (probably a problem at my end), but I.E. works.

Do not use images. RIP your DVD directly to your hard drive in the DVD folder (TS_Audio & TS_Video) format. Then use Nero to burn them from the hard drive to disc. Do not use the DATA DISC method. Nero should have a method to specifically burn DVD Files from your hard drive to a blank disc.

Also, while in Nero, click on the "More" button right before you burn the disc. There are several options you can apply. Unfortunately I cannot remember them exactly, but one will supposedly allow for better readability in stand alone DVD players. It might work for you.

Exactly only said better then me lol Anyway to be more specific then I was like my DVD Drive can record at 16X witch is pretty fast but I usualy record at like 12X I think the drive makers are pushing the limits when they say 16X lol

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
A general rule is about quarter of the top speed of your burner or disc's, for best quality.
Verbatim is the best brand disc to buy, TDK Japan (not China) is good also.
Are you burning your own home made movies or backing up commercial movies?