literally all my games wont work anymore (please help, im getting desprate)

pegasaurisrex

Proper
Jun 5, 2018
so, let me start this off by saying that i have tried everything i could think of to get my games to work... and have scoured all of the corners of the internet looking for answers

it all started when i ordered new parts for my pc. i upgraded from an AMD FX 8350, some old motherboad, and 8 gigs of DDR3 ram to a MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon with a AMD Ryzen 7 2700x with DDR4 2x8 Gig 2400 MHz, after that i did a full system reset from a windows 10 boot disk.

after all that was finished, i reinstalled all my drivers and went on my way to test my new and improved (if i can even call it that) rig just to find that all of the steam games i have tried crashed in under 5 min... tested games are GTA 5, Rocket league, Sanctum 2, and a few others that i cant think of off the top of my head. i have dabled around reinstalling some drivers here and there, ran a registry cleaner, and did a few things like that. i even installed All in One Runtimes to uninstall and reinstall java, the C++ nonsence that some games use, and other things to make sure none of those where corrupt either.

my full specs are
Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce
Ram: Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8 Gig 2400 MHz
hard drive: WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
Power Suply: COOLMAX ZX-600

i have also taken the liberty of watching everything is msi afterburner, and nothing was out of the ordinary, my temps for both my gpu and cpu stayed under 60 C, my cpu usage is at 10-20% and gpu is at 50% up until the crash, only thing out of the ordinary is 3 of my 16 threads would hit 100% and after all that everything would go back to its idoling status

any help is appreciated, even if the news is only bad i wouldn't care. I guess at this point im looking more for closure than a fix

Solution
make a new usb stick from the windows media creation tool make sure your windows has all the updates. make sure the mb bios is up to date and go to amd download the newest ryzen chipset drivers.

pegasaurisrex

Proper
Jun 5, 2018

yeah... its something my dad taught me to do and its always been a bad habit when it comes to reusing what i can. I would say at this point it is less about the price and more about the age of it, and seeing how i have never bought one because i constantly use from the 10 we have in storage i wouldn't even know what to look for

you have to do a clean install of windows and not a roll back. there two set of mb drivers now in windows. that why your rig not running right. use the windows media creation tool. nuke and pave windows off your drive and start fresh. also with new mb make sure it updated bios.

pegasaurisrex

Proper
Jun 5, 2018

yep, did that. downloaded the ISO from the windows store and made and burned a new disk when i reinstalled windows

pegasaurisrex

Proper
Jun 5, 2018

from my very little research, i don't think the PSU is the problem, it is a 600 watt power supply
BUT, pc part picker says that my PSU is 1 PCIE cable short, and i didn't have to use any adapters when putting it together so im going to open it up and see if i missed any slots

EDIT: it would be for a second cpu power slot, I ignored it at the time because I just assumed it was for extreme overclocking

pegasaurisrex

Proper
Jun 5, 2018

i feel like an idiot, i could have sworn i installed the drivers for the CPU but i guess not :/, seeing how the OS is less then a day old i did skip that part, and went straight to the AMD site to download the drivers, weird part is i had the installer in my downloads folder before i did that... guess i just forgot to run it :/

TRENDING THREADS