Litte black USB spacer?

Hello All (sorry if this appears twice. I cancelled the first post, which OE
send prematurely)

This is a strange question, but here goes

I noticed on one of the two USB ports on my 9300 laptop, there's a little
black thing (spacer?) missing that seems to fit over the actual four USB
prongs. So the prongs are exposed. While the jack works, if I even slightly
more a USB cord/plug, the connection is lost or become intermittent because
there is nothing really to hold the plug against the prongs. (I have a USB
keyboard lamp that I use, and it flickers or doesn't work at all when in
this jack. Works fine in the other jack.) I can't imagine what happened here
except that the little black piece fell out. Anyone have an idea where
(whether) I can get a thing like this without having the ship the laptop for
a $300 repair? Has anyone ever heard of this coming out? Is it possible to
reinstall? I checked all my USB cords, and I don't see this thing stuck in
any of them.

Thanks for any ideas.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Looking inside a USB socket or two the prong seems to be part of the socket
so maybe it snapped off somehow. If you're not happy dismantling the PC and
soldering on a new socket (I'm not sure I'd bother), how about a 2-or 4-way
unpowered hub to give you a few more sockets?
"Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothetgroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>
wrote in message
> Hello All (sorry if this appears twice. I cancelled the first post, which
OE
> send prematurely)
>
> This is a strange question, but here goes
>
> I noticed on one of the two USB ports on my 9300 laptop, there's a little
> black thing (spacer?) missing that seems to fit over the actual four USB
> prongs. So the prongs are exposed. While the jack works, if I even
slightly
> more a USB cord/plug, the connection is lost or become intermittent
because
> there is nothing really to hold the plug against the prongs. (I have a USB
> keyboard lamp that I use, and it flickers or doesn't work at all when in
> this jack. Works fine in the other jack.) I can't imagine what happened
here
> except that the little black piece fell out. Anyone have an idea where
> (whether) I can get a thing like this without having the ship the laptop
for
> a $300 repair? Has anyone ever heard of this coming out? Is it possible to
> reinstall? I checked all my USB cords, and I don't see this thing stuck in
> any of them.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Anthony Giorgianni
>
> The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting
back
> to the newsgroup.

Thanks Mark

Being a laptop, I'm not crazy taking it apart for this relatively small
problem. I was hoping that it snaps in somehow and easily replaced. Guess
I'm not that lucky :O) And yes, I was think about a hub as well, in case I
need the extra sockets some time.

Thanks again for the suggestions.