little confused over 4x 16x pci express slots

hi

easy question, a new machine of mine has a 4x pci express slot in, so
do i need to buy a 4x pci-express card, or does a 16x one with a longer
connector fits does it just work out it's only a 4x and work as normal?

none of the cards i'm looking at (6600gt) seem to tell you if they are
for 4x 8x etc. or doesn't it matter

thanks!

Chris

I believe the 16X slot replaces your agp slot for the video cards. The 4X
slots are the upgrade of the pci slots. None are backward compatible
"Chris S" <chris.sedgbeer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> easy question, a new machine of mine has a 4x pci express slot in, so
> do i need to buy a 4x pci-express card, or does a 16x one with a longer
> connector fits does it just work out it's only a 4x and work as normal?
>
> none of the cards i'm looking at (6600gt) seem to tell you if they are
> for 4x 8x etc. or doesn't it matter
>
> thanks!
>
> Chris

All the PCIe cards on the market need a x16 slot to work.

Frankly I've never seen a retail motherboard with only x4 slots and no x16
slot. Are you sure your motherboard does not have an x16 slot on it (should
be 3-4 inches long)?

"Chris S" <chris.sedgbeer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> easy question, a new machine of mine has a 4x pci express slot in, so
> do i need to buy a 4x pci-express card, or does a 16x one with a longer
> connector fits does it just work out it's only a 4x and work as normal?
>
> none of the cards i'm looking at (6600gt) seem to tell you if they are
> for 4x 8x etc. or doesn't it matter
>
> thanks!
>
> Chris

Hello, First!
You wrote on Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:37:40 -0400:

FoO> Frankly I've never seen a retail motherboard with only x4 slots and no
FoO> x16 slot. Are you sure your motherboard does not have an x16 slot on
FoO> it (should be 3-4 inches long)?

nah, it only has the 4x slot, altho the machine is really designed to be a
server which makes sence, i should have thought of that before asking!

All current PCI-Express higher end video cards like the 6600 GT are 16 x
PCI-E.

--
DaveW
__________

"Chris S" <chris.sedgbeer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> easy question, a new machine of mine has a 4x pci express slot in, so
> do i need to buy a 4x pci-express card, or does a 16x one with a longer
> connector fits does it just work out it's only a 4x and work as normal?
>
> none of the cards i'm looking at (6600gt) seem to tell you if they are
> for 4x 8x etc. or doesn't it matter
>
> thanks!
>
> Chris

In that case you are out of options. If the M/B has ordinary PCI slots, you
can get away with a low-end Radeon 9250 or maybe 9550, which is still better
than the integrated graphics.