[SOLVED] Little to no difference when upgrade for a new GPU

May 27, 2020
hey guys, I upgraded my GPU from an Palit GTX 750ti to a ASUS GTX 1060 6GB. and across various games there was little to no difference in performance. I dont know what the problem could be... I was thinking it might be the old motherboard, something wrong with the BIOS or temperatures Idk. All relevant specs are below. Any help is appreciated! :)

Motherboard: H81M-A ASUS
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz,
GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 16GB
STORAGE: 1TB HDD
PSU: Corsair CX600 Series 600W

Solution
Yeah, keep an eye on your clock rates and temperatures. In games, an i7-4770 should be boosting to 3.7 GHz with all cores loaded if properly cooled, or at the very least should maintain its base clock of 3.4 GHz. The 1.2 to 1.3 GHz you were getting was obviously wrong, and a result of your CPU thermal-throttling to avoid damage.

You mentioned your temperatures going down by 10-15C, but is that on the desktop or in-game? If in game, that would still mean your temperatures are in the 80s, which is arguably too high, and perhaps still throttling your performance to some degree. Make sure your cooler is properly mounted, and if it's a stock Intel cooler, make sure the push-pins on all four corners are properly clicked into place.
May 27, 2020
What is your cpu and gpu usages when in game? For cpu look at all cores/threads and not total cpu usage.

You are not using v-sync?

Try running userbenchmark and linking the results.
I tested in few different games, overall:
CPU: 25-30%
Speed: 1.3Ghz
Processes: 256
Threads: 3190
Memory: 8-9/15.9GB
GPU: 20-30%
Dedicated GPU memory: 2-3/6GB
GPU Memory: 2-4/13.9GB

in VR this is:
CPU: 27%
Speed: 1.2Ghz
Processes: 260
Threads: 3427
Memory: 10.5/15.9GB
GPU: 20%
Dedicated GPU memory: 2.3/6GB
GPU Memory: 2.4/13.9GB

in most games I use V-sync

The userbenchmark results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 54%, Desk 60%, Work 41%
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 - 66.3%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 57.9%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB - 94.2%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C10 2x8GB - 59.2%
MBD: Asus H81M-A

May 27, 2020
The cpu is not running at the correct speed. What is your cpu temperature at Windows desktop and in game?
In desktop:
TJ.Max: 100*c
Core #0: 65*c
Core #1: 64*c
Core #2: 62*c
Core #3: 63*c

Overall in game:
Core #0: 95*c
Core #1: 96*c
Core #2: 92*c
Core #3: 90*c

In VR:
Core #0: 100*c
Core #1: 99*c
Core #2: 97*c
Core #3: 93*c

In desktop:
Core #0: 65*c
Core #1: 64*c
Core #2: 62*c
Core #3: 63*c

Overall in game:
Core #0: 95*c
Core #1: 96*c
Core #2: 92*c
Core #3: 90*c

In VR:
Core #0: 100*c
Core #1: 99*c
Core #2: 97*c
Core #3: 93*c
Yes it’s overheating. I’d remove the cpu cooler and replace the thermal paste. Also give the cooler and all fans a clean to remove dust and ensure they are spinning freely. If using an AIO make sure the pump is working.

May 27, 2020
I will try to see if it works thx
yeah if you are in fact using an AIO most likely the pump went bad. This is a huge reason I dislike them and prefer a quality air cooler.
I substituted the thermal paste. the old one was really dry. it is now working a lot better now thx guys... the temperatures reduced by about 10-15*c . The games are now running a lot smoother mainly in VR games.
Btw I have a question: I notice that my motherboard PCIE is 2.0 and the GPU PCIE is 3.0. Does that affect the performance?
And I'm using Air coolers, tbh I dont really know how good the water coolers are, so I never really considered buying it.
I think now the only way to increase performance at this point would be upgrading the hardware, Idk if thats true.
thx again guys

I substituted the thermal paste. the old one was really dry. it is now working a lot better now thx guys... the temperatures reduced by about 10-15*c . The games are now running a lot smoother mainly in VR games.
Btw I have a question: I notice that my motherboard PCIE is 2.0 and the GPU PCIE is 3.0. Does that affect the performance?
And I'm using Air coolers, tbh I dont really know how good the water coolers are, so I never really considered buying it.
I think now the only way to increase performance at this point would be upgrading the hardware, Idk if thats true.
thx again guys

There will be a negligible performance loss using PCIe 2.0, a percent or two at most. Its not something you shoudl worry about.

Yeah, keep an eye on your clock rates and temperatures. In games, an i7-4770 should be boosting to 3.7 GHz with all cores loaded if properly cooled, or at the very least should maintain its base clock of 3.4 GHz. The 1.2 to 1.3 GHz you were getting was obviously wrong, and a result of your CPU thermal-throttling to avoid damage.

You mentioned your temperatures going down by 10-15C, but is that on the desktop or in-game? If in game, that would still mean your temperatures are in the 80s, which is arguably too high, and perhaps still throttling your performance to some degree. Make sure your cooler is properly mounted, and if it's a stock Intel cooler, make sure the push-pins on all four corners are properly clicked into place.

Solution
May 27, 2020
There will be a negligible performance loss using PCIe 2.0, a percent or two at most. Its not something you shoudl worry about.

Oh ok so I don't need to buy a new motherboard for now then.
Yeah, now the speed is around 3.8 GHz which I definitely feel the difference in the performance. The temperatures were going by 10-15*c on both desktop and gaming. I've checked the stock Intel cooler and seems it is correctly mounted. Not sure but, I think at this point the only way to improve the performance would be upgrading the hardware.
PS: thx for the help guys