Live From AMD's Financial Analyst Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We need a speed chart using GPS of your driving speeds on I5 please and fuel efficiency all the way to sunnyvale.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
2nd Gen FX in 2012, but when? After the BD fiasco, I am thinking of doing an Intel build, specifically i5-2550k, - something that I have not done in years. I am not so sure that I want to wait for 2nd Gen FX, especially if it remains something less than a value buy.

peevee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
New products on 40nm in 2012? While Intel releases theirs on 22 nm? Translating to 4 times cheaper transistors? How AMD is going to compete? And look at the 2013 Client Roadmap - "Steamroller" (supposedly 2nd gen after BD) cores are BELOW "Piledriver" - are they going to decrease IPC again?

ltdementhial

Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]peevee[/nom]New products on 40nm in 2012? While Intel releases theirs on 22 nm? Translating to 4 times cheaper transistors? How AMD is going to compete? And look at the 2013 Client Roadmap - "Steamroller" (supposedly 2nd gen after BD) cores are BELOW "Piledriver" - are they going to decrease IPC again?[/citation]

You're wrong sir, until this day AMD/Nvidia release the lower end products on a old and cheaper plataform as 40nm. maybe you get it wrong and think the APU's are going to be 40nm manofactured...well no the GPU inside the APU is 40nm the CPU is 32 nm...maybe you want an 28nm gpu (southern islands) in a 22nm cpu (intel i don't know what) but that would be non profit as is a new technologie i doesnt come cheap at all, not just for AMD but for any other company willing to make some bucks (insert Intel, ARM, Nvidia or your favorite company here.) in a few years when the x nm process comes out theres going to be people like you sayin... "New" 22nm producs in 202x while X Company is realasing their X nm process?

Oh and by the way...not every nm process/Die/construction is the same at all every company has their own...i dont the exact difference but let say Intel 32nm (CMOS i think)= AMD 45nm SOI = ARM 120nm.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
It all looks good, except for two things I just can't understand:

- why are they thinking of keeping 4 cores in 2013, when they advocate paralelism? Isn't what they built Bulldozer for?

- why on Earth would they not make FX based on Steamroller? It should be ready, why keep FX outdated against competition when all they need is put the damn things on a chip?

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein.

Cu micronaturization will come to a halt soon (45nm, 32nm, 24nm, 12nm?). AMD is just thinking out of the box.

manu 11

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
My message to amd, decrease your core count and improve your per core performance and ipc, i can live with a fast four core processor but slow 8 cores are worse!

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]peevee[/nom]New products on 40nm in 2012? While Intel releases theirs on 22 nm? Translating to 4 times cheaper transistors? How AMD is going to compete? And look at the 2013 Client Roadmap - "Steamroller" (supposedly 2nd gen after BD) cores are BELOW "Piledriver" - are they going to decrease IPC again?[/citation]
intel will still have 32nm and 40nm processors that time you know, only IVB will be the one shrimked at first untill they complete the 22nm transition in all their fabs

AMD's FX is having a hard time competing again the i5 2400. Intel's new 22nm CPU in April will destroy AMD. Shame AMD 2 years ago didn't push a G34 with 2 CPU and 12 core on a socket design for the consumer space. Today's games may have been a bit more threaded for the FX.

Gordon Freeman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]josejones[/nom]So, when will AMD motherboards and AMD's CPU's etc support PCIe 3.0 ?[/citation]
Why get all hot and bothered for PCI 3 when PCI 2 is still just fine. Today PCI 3 is just another way for corporations to get your hard earned money from you.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Gordon, WTF? Get "all hot and bothered" by yourself. PCIe 2 is not all that far off from being old, outdated and obsolete. PCIe 3 is the new standard which will be apart of the next generation of computers. I'm always amazed when gamers turn their nose to new technology that doubles the bandwidth. Some of us aren't gamers - we WORK and our work could benefit from PCIe 3. Besides, ever consider that GPU makers might be able to use PCIe 3 on quad-core GPU's? That would eliminate the need for 2, 3 or 4 GPU's in SLI or Crossfire. Those qualified to comment are actually happy with the PCIe 3 upgrade:

A spokesperson from Nvidia:

“Nvidia is a key contributor to the industry’s development of PCI Express 3.0, which is expected to have twice the data throughput of the current generation (2.0). Whenever there is a major increase in bandwidth like that, applications emerge that take advantage of it. This will benefit consumers and professionals with increased graphics and computing performance from notebooks, desktops, workstations, and servers ... ”

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-3.0-pci-sig,2695-5.html

Gordon Freeman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Is 7970 close to being obsolete ? because PCI 2 does not even come close to bottle necking it and 7970 offers all the power most will want and or need. Software needs to play catchup big time before PCI 3 will become relevant it will be a long time bro hold onto your hard earned dollars or spend them where it will make a real difference. A Revo drive might take advantage of the extra bandwidth that PCI 3 offers but even then its pretty iffy right now and as far as gaming goes it might be useful if PCI 3 x4 could offer the bandwidth of PCI 2 x8 therefore enabling a more budget oriented board to do proper crossfire and SLI. Me I am not getting my panties in a bunch over PCI 3 right now because it doesn't even work today LOL but in a few years maybe more it might be useful for mainstream gaming and a welcome addition if it doesn't drive up the buy in price of new hardware but as for today PCI-E 3.0 is pure marketing bull.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I'm wondering why AMD has no plans of sticking 128-512 MB of VRAM with their APUs. It's rare that mainstream laptops come with RAMs that have tight timings and over 1333 MHz, and slow RAM cripples GPUs a lot more than CPUs. Even a little bit of VRAM would greatly reduce bandwidth bottlenecks.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Gordon Freeman[/nom]Is 7970 close to being obsolete ? because PCI 2 does not even come close to bottle necking it and 7970 offers all the power most will want and or need. Software needs to play catchup big time before PCI 3 will become relevant it will be a long time bro hold onto your hard earned dollars or spend them where it will make a real difference. A Revo drive might take advantage of the extra bandwidth that PCI 3 offers but even then its pretty iffy right now and as far as gaming goes it might be useful if PCI 3 x4 could offer the bandwidth of PCI 2 x8 therefore enabling a more budget oriented board to do proper crossfire and SLI. Me I am not getting my panties in a bunch over PCI 3 right now because it doesn't even work today LOL but in a few years maybe more it might be useful for mainstream gaming and a welcome addition if it doesn't drive up the buy in price of new hardware but as for today PCI-E 3.0 is pure marketing bull.[/citation]

Gamers are soooo arrogant. Not everybody is a gamer - some of us actually have WORK to do. Some software is already set to take advantage of PCIe 3 such as Windows 7 and Adobe CS for example. They use whatever hardware is already there. If one has a system with PCIe 3 they will use it. So, no need to get your pink panties in a bunch.

Besides, I'm preparing for a new build and I'd prefer not to waste my money on a soon to be obsolete system. I don't care what you waste your money on.

Gordon Freeman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]josejones[/nom]Gamers are soooo arrogant. Not everybody is a gamer - some of us actually have WORK to do. Some software is already set to take advantage of PCIe 3 such as Windows 7 and Adobe CS for example. They use whatever hardware is already there. If one has a system with PCIe 3 they will use it. So, no need to get your pink panties in a bunch. Besides, I'm preparing for a new build and I'd prefer not to waste my money on a soon to be obsolete system. I don't care what you waste your money on.[/citation]
The GPU doesn't need and can use PCI 3 therefore how is Adobe going to make it run faster with magic LOL and I already stated that Revo drives will be benefiting from PCI 3 but Revo drives are stupid priced and not practical right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.