Live Over-The-Air TV Coming To Xbox One Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no reason to buy this when you can buy an HDhomerun from silicon dust which has been out for years and now has DLNA playback to your android and xbox, ps4, htpc etc......

The major advantage of the hdhomerun is that you can place the antenna at the highest point in your house and put the reciever as close to the antenna as possible. This gives the reciever the best possible signal reception. Then uses your wifi/lan to watch video throughout the house.

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Meanwhile, they still can't make the Kinect relevant, and all the X-Box exclusive titles are wank. Good on them.
Ahh...the tears of PS* fanbois and the awesome Cinavia they get to endure is awesome...

dstarr3

Distinguished
Ahh...the tears of PS* fanbois and the awesome Cinavia they get to endure is awesome...

Nope. PC fanboy. At least I can play everything at 1080p@60fps. On my TV. In the other room. Flawlessly. And all my games cost less than a fiver.

kcops

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
The Xbox 360 could be used as a Windows Media Center Extender and thus you could watch TV through your Xbox with DVR functionality. Why can't they just make Xbox One an Extender? I might even consider buying one at that point. Why was this feature left out of the Xbox One, it makes no sense.

I have the Silicon Dust Connect (get the Prime if you are a cable user) which has two tuners and works very well. Sure it has DLNA but I like the DVR functionality and guide that you get with Windows Media Center. I get around 55 channels where I am located with the Mohu Sky 60.

Microsoft, just add Extender functionality to the Xbox One. Please? Pretty Please?

norseman4

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Microsoft, just add Extender functionality to the Xbox One. Please? Pretty Please?

He//, they won't even allow another PC to be an extender. with the XBone and Windows sharing much of the OS, and will be even closer with Win10, and extender app on the XBone would work on the PCs. And as I said, MS does not want that.

(License fees from Extender manufacturers would take a hit if extender apps are allowed, maybe?)

adampsyreal

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
Most consumers won't go through all this effort. The few who actually use OTATV don't bother recording. ... So what's the point? This amounts to an expensive VCR. Everyone else either uses cable, or just steals shows over the internet.

seshysama

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Nope. PC fanboy. At least I can play everything at 1080p@60fps. On my TV. In the other room. Flawlessly. And all my games cost less than a fiver.

So sick of this "1080/60" argument. If you can build a windows PC for $400 that can outperform an Xbox One or a PS4, I'll paypal you $100. But you can't. Because its literally impossible. Because Xbox and PS4 are better price to performance ratio than PC. Get over yourself and stop making us real PC gamers look bad.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Microsoft is clueless. Cable is coming to an end. If it wasn't for grandparents, no one would watch anything over the air. Broadcast will be dead soon, and good riddance. Streaming shows over the internet is the future. When sports realize how much money they can make on their own without the cable companies and networks, we'll really start to see progress.

This may have been a good idea for the original Xbox, but not in 2015.

dstarr3

Distinguished
So sick of this "1080/60" argument. If you can build a windows PC for $400 that can outperform an Xbox One or a PS4, I'll paypal you $100. But you can't. Because its literally impossible. Because Xbox and PS4 are better price to performance ratio than PC. Get over yourself and stop making us real PC gamers look bad.

A gaming PC is a (slightly) bigger investment up front, but then all the games are so cheap, it's much less expensive in the long run. As well as being a much better experience.

I'm sorry, but after having done both, consoles are just shit, and I'm sorry if you disagree. Some people just lack taste.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008

well, if you can assemble a PC that performs AS GOOD as those consoles, it is guaranteed to wipe the floor with them WITH ALL OTHER TASKS. seriously, it's no contest. and parts are pretty cheap. gaming at 1080p 60fps low-medium/720p 60fps medium-high details is not that hard. and with dx12 around the corner, margins are about to get a hell of a lot slimmer.

stoned_ritual

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
I'm sorry, but your xbox is more than likely already connected to a digital tv, making this product obsolete and/or dumb. Also those mohu antennas are a joke.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I'm sorry, but your xbox is more than likely already connected to a digital tv, making this product obsolete and/or dumb. Also those mohu antennas are a joke.
My thoughts, too. As far as finding a good antenna, try http://antennaweb.org/

Shawn Michaels

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015

I'm sorry but you probably don't get that some people may hook up an Xbox One to their monitors which have no TV tuner or that in my case I may want to have my TV signal run through my xbox and into my TV so I can use the Kinect voice controls. The HomeWorx HW150PVR that I use also has DVR capabilities which is awesome for OTA programming. Just hook up a hard drive and bam. So while watching a football game, I can just say Xbox Pause. That is sweet. But I am sure you already knew these things and since you don't provide a reasonable alternative to mohu, I can only guess you were being mean.

Shawn Michaels

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015

Won't go into the same detail, but as I told the other guy, I want to use DVR functionality of such a box and also have it run into my XBox so I can use the Kinect voice controls and also have it integrated into how I use my Xbox.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

You could try MediaPortal then with voice control - of course, you would need an HTPC. Personally, I have no interest in an XBOX, and the remote I am using is capable of controlling MediaPortal

My HTPC with MediaPortal does an excellent job of DVRing shows I want with two HDHomeRun tuners - and even my TV to which I have it connected has an ATSC tuner in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.