[SOLVED] Livestreaming damaged my GPU?

Aug 22, 2020
Hello

So I used Discord to livestream a single game and the game was lagging really hard. I assumed this was just because the livestream + my game was too much for my PC to handle running at once.

So I closed Discord, all its processes. But then I noticed that all of my games were lagging. I uninstalled Discord, games are still lagging. I let my computer rest overnight, still lagging.

I have no idea what Discord Livestreaming did to my computer, but games that previously worked fine just start lagging and stuttering and everything.

I'm not really sure how this could have happening. I tried a clean boot, same thing is happening.

Did livestreaming somehow damage my computer parts? I've tried pretty much everything but any physical changes to my PC. I haven't tried a clean Windows install either. Please help :)

Search tags: livestream lag, livestream made my games lag, livestream made my games lag even after livestream is finished, standby memory clear, standby memory game lag

Last edited:
Solution
I found the solution! Turns out the standby memory was filled up due to the livestreaming. I had to do some deep digging to find this issue, and I couldn't find it anywhere else on the internet.

Hopefully somebody else who has this problem and never found the solution will find this post :)

View: https://youtu.be/offcMVAabLI

If this video ever gets taken down, Google "Empty Standby List" and you should find out how to clear empty standby memory. This solved everything

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hello

So I used Discord to livestream a single game and the game was lagging really hard. I assumed this was just because the livestream + my game was too much for my PC to handle running at once.

So I closed Discord, all its processes. But then I noticed that all of my games were lagging. I uninstalled Discord, games are still lagging. I let my computer rest overnight, still lagging.

I have no idea what Discord Livestreaming did to my computer, but games that previously worked fine just start lagging and stuttering and everything.

I'm not really sure how this could have happening. I tried a clean boot, same thing is happening.

Did livestreaming somehow damage my computer parts? I've tried pretty much everything but any physical changes to my PC. I haven't tried a clean Windows install either. Please help :)
So streaming doesn't really mess with the GPU it uses CPU more. When you were doing the streaming were you checking the temperatures of what was going on? What are your specs for your computer exactly?

Aug 22, 2020
So streaming doesn't really mess with the GPU it uses CPU more. When you were doing the streaming were you checking the temperatures of what was going on? What are your specs for your computer exactly?
I wasn't checking the temperatures.
My specs are
Ryzen 5 3600
8GB RAM
GTX 1660 SUPER

Aug 22, 2020
Ram is a bit low, considering that you are gaming and streaming. Those other 2 parts are more than capable at handling the streaming and gaming at the same time. You should just Reset CMOS and go from there.
So, when I tried to reset the CMOS, it said it was already on the default settings. I was in the BIOS menu, selected Load Default Settings (or something similar), but it told me I was already on the default settings and no settings were gonna change by clicking it.
Is resetting CMOS something different or?

Ferimer

Distinguished
So, when I tried to reset the CMOS, it said it was already on the default settings. I was in the BIOS menu, selected Load Default Settings (or something similar), but it told me I was already on the default settings and no settings were gonna change by clicking it.
Is resetting CMOS something different or?
Yeah lol sorry there is another way of doing it. If you take a look at your mobo do you see a small circular battery. something like the one i posted? Make sure you unplug the power cable from the computer flip to switch on the power supply to off(if you have one) then hit the power button once or twice just to discharge anything. To remove that battery there should be what looks like a clip on the left side. press that towards the left to loosen the battery and remove it for about 1 minute. then plug it back in, plug the power cable back in switch it on and wait for it to boot up.
CMOS%252Bremove-battery.jpg

Aug 22, 2020
I found the solution! Turns out the standby memory was filled up due to the livestreaming. I had to do some deep digging to find this issue, and I couldn't find it anywhere else on the internet.

Hopefully somebody else who has this problem and never found the solution will find this post :)

If this video ever gets taken down, Google "Empty Standby List" and you should find out how to clear empty standby memory. This solved everything

Solution

Ferimer

Distinguished

That is good you found a solution, but you did restart your computer already and the problem persisted? I would look into getting more RAM. possibly 2x8GB kit at about 3200mhz to pair with that ryzen 3600

Reactions: cake941
Aug 22, 2020
That is good you found a solution, but you did restart your computer already and the problem persisted? I would look into getting more RAM. possibly 2x8GB kit at about 3200mhz to pair with that ryzen 3600
yeah the problem persisted after restarting. i will look into buying more RAM. thanks for your help!