[SOLVED] llc + cpu V = overvolt?

Bobbrugge

Honorable
May 2, 2014
Quick question, I am screwing with my llc settings. On Extreme it cranks my CPUV to 1.56. Max CPUV for my fx 6350 is 1.55.
Does that mean I am .05 over? or does that count?
It only hits that voltage when stress testing, if that matters.
TIA!

Solution
It's high. Set the LLC for medium or auto. Then worry about vcore. Just because you bumped up speeds doesn't necessarily mean you need excessive voltage, current can make up the difference in wattage. For an everyday OC I'd not be looking at 1.375v - 1.4v or more Total. Preferably lower.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'll need to understand LLC to get the answer.

Electricity can only travel so fast, not nearly as fast as a cpu can demand it. So when a cpu stops demanding it, the level of voltage the VRM's send drops temporarily at which point the cpu suddenly demand a great deal more, instantly. That drop is vdroop. You get instability when the cpu demand is more than the VRM's can suddenly supply.

That created the need for LLC. It's a pre-emptive voltage that's always on, it adds to the vdroop, so the VRM's can meet the cpus demands at the bottom of the drop. Consequently, because it's an added voltage, it also adds to the top of the droop too, so the VRM's might send 1.4v that the cpu demands at load, but the LLC is adding to that so you see vcore at 1.56v, which is what the cpu receives.

Extreme LLC is not warranted for 99.9% of OC, the only purpose for it is record breaking LN2 builds. At most you'll ever reasonably need is medium to high or 3 out of 5, 2 steps down from Extreme. That adds enough voltage to cover stability, but not so much to burn up the cpu.

For OC on a 6350, you should be closer to @ 1.32v not over 1.5v.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-fx-6350-6-core-overclock.2576113/#post-16659474

Last edited:

Bobbrugge

Honorable
May 2, 2014
You'll need to understand LLC to get the answer.

Electricity can only travel so fast, not nearly as fast as a cpu can demand it. So when a cpu stops demanding it, the level of voltage the VRM's send drops temporarily at which point the cpu suddenly demand a great deal more, instantly. That drop is vdroop. You get instability when the cpu demand is more than the VRM's can suddenly supply.

That created the need for LLC. It's a pre-emptive voltage that's always on, it adds to the vdroop, so the VRM's can meet the cpus demands at the bottom of the drop. Consequently, because it's an added voltage, it also adds to the top of the droop too, so the VRM's might send 1.4v that the cpu demands at load, but the LLC is adding to that so you see vcore at 1.56v, which is what the cpu receives.

Extreme LLC is not warranted for 99.9% of OC, the only purpose for it is record breaking LN2 builds. At most you'll ever reasonably need is medium to high or 3 out of 5, 2 steps down from Extreme. That adds enough voltage to cover stability, but not so much to burn up the cpu.

For OC on a 6350, you should be closer to @ 1.32v not over 1.5v.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-fx-6350-6-core-overclock.2576113/#post-16659474
I kind of understand vdroop.
the 1.56 is llc +1.3675V.
So do I understand that base voltage + llc voltage = more than 1.55V is cool or not? Don't want to fry anything...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's high. Set the LLC for medium or auto. Then worry about vcore. Just because you bumped up speeds doesn't necessarily mean you need excessive voltage, current can make up the difference in wattage. For an everyday OC I'd not be looking at 1.375v - 1.4v or more Total. Preferably lower.

Solution