[SOLVED] Load Balancer

kevinPooleSmith

Commendable
Jan 25, 2020
Hi I have just had a 2nd broadband installed both fibre. I have added a load balancer to the mix and now its all running fine.
with a couple exceptions. I need to be able to remote into my pc remotely offsite. My Pc, is part of the network behind the load balancer.
My PC also serves as a website and since setting up the load balancer I have lost the ability to remote to my pc as well as get access to my website.

Any Ideas?

Kev

Solution
It all depends on how you have the load balancer configured. A load balancer is not really designed to combine internet connections. It is more to have mulitple servers act as a single web site....ie the reverse of what you are doing. You would have a single internet IP address map to multiple web servers but they appears as one.

Your main problem is that you have 2 different IP addresses on your 2 internet connections. You obviously can't have configured the load balancer to load balance by packet. If you were talking to a web site and the ip addresses change constantly the web site would drop the connection. This is why you can not use a load balancer to combine internet connection to increase the bandwidth.

The...
It all depends on how you have the load balancer configured. A load balancer is not really designed to combine internet connections. It is more to have mulitple servers act as a single web site....ie the reverse of what you are doing. You would have a single internet IP address map to multiple web servers but they appears as one.

Your main problem is that you have 2 different IP addresses on your 2 internet connections. You obviously can't have configured the load balancer to load balance by packet. If you were talking to a web site and the ip addresses change constantly the web site would drop the connection. This is why you can not use a load balancer to combine internet connection to increase the bandwidth.

The next way would be to load balance by session. This only works in very simple cases. Web pages are made up of many different small sessions and if the ip would change the web site would have issuses. One of the common examples would be if you were playing a game and you logged into the authentication serer with 1 ip and world server with another. The game would detect this as hacking. You have similar problem on other web sites, google you will generally get constant captcha messages because the cookies contain the ip and they think you are bot if ip changes between searches.

So the only way load balancers even have a chance to work is what is called sticky. In this case the load balancer will send all traffic for a internal machine to the same connection for a period of time. It will sorta load balance different machines over the connections but you could still have one connection over used and the other idle because it can not change based on load.

To have incoming session work you need to have a function very similar to port forwarding setup. This is similar to the sticky setting but it is permanent. You in effect always plug your machine into the same internet router but you just did it via the load balancer. How exactly you do this depends on the load balancer but you should be able to map a internal IP to the external connection much like a port forward.

Solution