[SOLVED] Load temps lower than idle temps . Is it ok ?

Dec 25, 2018
So i have a ryzen 2600x and when I change my cpu cooler from the stock amd cooler to a gammaxx gt rgb and my idle temps are now very unstable 35-55°c and can get hotter than my load temps which are very stable (50-55) Did I do anything wrong ? It seems weird that my computer does higher temps at idle

I installed a gammaxx gt rgb on my ryzen 2600x and it is now at 45-55°c at idle but is at a stable 55°c at load. Is this ok ? If not what could have gone wrong ( I already detightened all the screws and tightened them back again the cooler is nor moving ) ( note that my processor is running at 4ghz all the time and is never at it's stock 3.6ghz and it never has been )

Solution
Ryzen BBP is working fine now, with 1903 W10 and latest chipset drivers. I have mine set to 5% CPU minimum and it drops my 2700x right down to 2.1GHz and under 1v when left on true idle. Ramping speed is not an issue, I get no lag with those settings. It also allows higher boost than Windows balanced plan, not much but it's there.
There's also Windows Ultimate PP to which it can be switched instantly without rebooting.
1903 also has some additions for better Ryzen core scheduling comparing to 1809 and earlier. benchmark scores are very little better but work is smoother.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Make sure the cooler is evenly tightened on all 4 sides. And don't tighten too much or too little. It doesn't have to be as tight as screws on a car or a bike, more on the level of what a 10-year old can do.
Temperature spikes happen. I have a 240mm AIO from Corsair, temp jumps from 30-50 constantly. But the spikes are very short and the cooling etc can't react quick enough. Not even the VRM can keep up with the CPU and those are rated at 500 kilohertz generally. 500 000 times per second. There is no chance in hell a cooler will.

Dec 25, 2018
Make sure the cooler is evenly tightened on all 4 sides. And don't tighten too much or too little. It doesn't have to be as tight as screws on a car or a bike, more on the level of what a 10-year old can do.
Temperature spikes happen. I have a 240mm AIO from Corsair, temp jumps from 30-50 constantly. But the spikes are very short and the cooling etc can't react quick enough. Not even the VRM can keep up with the CPU and those are rated at 500 kilohertz generally. 500 000 times per second. There is no chance in hell a cooler will.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
If I remember correctly, if it's not tightened enough, temps will fluctuate like crazy. Under load they will be on the edge of TjMax, what the silicon can take. If it is too tight, you can get RAM that isn't working or not all of it is detected. It can be quite random manifestations, seemingly, but all connected to CPU, like harddisks not loading files correctly or slowly etc.
PCI-e lanes are connected to CPU, most of them, especially top slot (GPU). RAM is too. And memory controller is now onboard the CPU, on both Intel and AMD.

I would take the cooler and apply very little force to it by rocking it from side to side. Like 1 finger or something. If it moves, too loose. You don't want to apply pressure to CPU edges, those can break. Try to rotate it as well.
I have been using AIOs for the last 8 years. Those are easy to check. Tighten to hand-tight. No tools. Then it is tight enough.

Star pattern:
View: https://youtu.be/XLlrqzwxJig?t=644

The tighter it gets, the less you screw on each screw every time.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018
If I remember correctly, if it's not tightened enough, temps will fluctuate like crazy. Under load they will be on the edge of TjMax, what the silicon can take. If it is too tight, you can get RAM that isn't working or not all of it is detected. It can be quite random manifestations, seemingly, but all connected to CPU, like harddisks not loading files correctly or slowly etc.
PCI-e lanes are connected to CPU, most of them, especially top slot (GPU). RAM is too. And memory controller is now onboard the CPU, on both Intel and AMD.

I would take the cooler and apply very little force to it by rocking it from side to side. Like 1 finger or something. If it moves, too loose. You don't want to apply pressure to CPU edges, those can break. Try to rotate it as well.
I have been using AIOs for the last 8 years. Those are easy to check. Tighten to hand-tight. No tools. Then it is tight enough.

Star pattern:
View: https://youtu.be/XLlrqzwxJig?t=644

The tighter it gets, the less you screw on each screw every time.

Dec 25, 2018
Are you using Ryzen Master or similar software to OC?
If so the voltage is probably set higher than it needs to be.
If so reset your BIOS to Optimized Defaults and then check the Temps.
So i do not OC and I already reseted the bios to default, temps where the same I don't get it, it's annoying me so much !

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With Ryzens, especially 1st gen, they use core parking, basically the core goes to sleep when it's not actively used. This was done to allow better clock speeds on the few cores actively used. It had a small side affect, lag. The speeds at which processors now run is incredible, and in the time it takes to wake up a core and bring it upto speed from 0 to 4GHz or so, you get latency periods, or lag. Not so good for gamers as that'd cause micro-pauses. Windows balanced plan had provisions for Intel cpu's to disable core parking in things like games, but no such luck with AMD. So Amd put out a Windows addendum in its AM4 chipset drivers, which changed Balanced Power Plan (default) to Ryzen Balanced Power Plan, and included a disable for core parking in games by setting minimum cpu power states at 90%. So as long as a Ryzen cpu uses Ryzen BPP, your idle is going to be 90%, or roughly 2.2GHz. That means high voltages, and higher idle temps up until you enter sleep states. Intel cpu's using Windows BBP get a 5% minimum cpu usage at idle, very big difference.

I think it was the Windows update Dec '18 that Microsoft finally added core park disable to power plans, which left Ryzen BBP not only redundant, but sort of undesirable with its 90% default minimum.

If you can't get windows standard BBP, then you should be able to enter advanced power settings and change the minimum cpu usage, I've always left it at 5%, but I've been advised that a 8% is far better as it reduces ramping caused by windows background tasks in idle.

Ryzen BBP is working fine now, with 1903 W10 and latest chipset drivers. I have mine set to 5% CPU minimum and it drops my 2700x right down to 2.1GHz and under 1v when left on true idle. Ramping speed is not an issue, I get no lag with those settings. It also allows higher boost than Windows balanced plan, not much but it's there.
There's also Windows Ultimate PP to which it can be switched instantly without rebooting.
1903 also has some additions for better Ryzen core scheduling comparing to 1809 and earlier. benchmark scores are very little better but work is smoother.

Solution
Dec 25, 2018
So now it is going at 40° and then the cooler slows and then the temps go up at 50 and then they go down and then up and it does that over and over again

@CountMike did you manually set the Ryzen BBP to 5%? Or did it finally default to that setting?
Yes, manually, it was 90% before that.
Ps. Just installed newest chipset drivers from Asus site that seem to be specially for W10 1903 judging by 19H1 in drivers name, it's a code for spring (May) update 1903 "DRV_Chipset_AMD_AM4_19H1_SZ_TSD_W10_64_VER191016_20190701R"
Can see some minimal gains in benchmarks.