Question Loading of certain files on PC has become extremely slow all of a sudden

topeira

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Hi guys.
Something strange has happened.

I think it started after a power outage of a fraction of a second happened in my house.
I run my computer from SSD and have an i9 CPU from the last year and up until a fe
Now, booting takes ages, while booting my computer says it is "fixing" E: drive (which is an old HDD drive I hardly use but store important documents on), rendering into Adobe media encoder from Adobe After Effects takes more than 10 minutes instead of 30 seconds, opening or even copying the simples MP3 files I DL from the internet can take 5-10 minutes, and other extremely slow processes. (for example, if I DL a simple SRT or MP3 or Doc files from the internet or from an eMail, if I click it to open it, it can take 5 minutes).

However, using softwares like After Effect (as long as I am not sending the render to media encoder) or playing AAA games is running smooth as always. Same as opening movies I already had on my machine for a while.

It kind of seems like manipulating or interacting with NEW files takes a huge amount of time.

I dont know if a part of my hardware was damaged and if so, how can I tell which part?It seems like my old HDD (which is drive E: and D: isn't accessible. But could a damaged HDD interfere with the rest of the computer even though all the issues I described have nothing to do with this HDD? (I don't download files there and don't install softwares on it. It's just old DOC files like insurance files, bills, etc)

Could use some help.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

topeira

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
It seems like once I removed my old HDD, my computer went back to normal speed.

Can anyone explain to me why does a faulty HDD effects the almost the entire performance of the computer, even when the files Im accessing are not on it?