Loading Vista Home: Basic, Raid 0

Worms4u

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Good morning everyone, last night I put together a new system SLI, Raid 0, core 2 duo 3.0ghz, 8gb ram, as basic specs.

Anyway I went into the BIOS, turned on the raid array, selected striping, chose the two drives. the UI stated each drive was 465gb, the array is 970ish-gb. The MB states the array is healthy.

Ok so I put in my Windows Vista Home: Basic OS and boot the sytem up, it goes to a screen with a loading bar that says 'Loading Windows Vista' or some such. Next it makes it to the light blue/cloudy background and just sits.

I have a mouse pointer, it does move so I know the system didn't hang. Occasionally my DVD drive will spin up to max speed and read the DVD for a while (like half hour) but the computer doesn't do anything.

So I got to thinking... an OS would see a raid array as merely a single drive, but M$ may have hamstrung the OS by not allowing me to load the raid drivers onto the system because it is a 'basic' OS.

That may be off base, I dont know.

Anyway - For the tl;dr crowed, does anyone know what may be causing the system to hang on the happy cloudy blue screen (not to be confused with bsod).

Thanks guys and gals!
Justin

Worms4u

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
One thing of note that I forgot to add. I have NOT formatted the drives yet, I haven't had that option yet. Once I set up the raid array as my boot drive, it immediately loads windows as described above. Should I turn the boot option off until it has been formatted? I've never loaded windows vista before (always had xp till now), I am not sure at what point the loading of the OS formats the drives.

Thanks
Justin