"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

MrMario

Honorable
Aug 11, 2015
I've had this problem for a few months now. My PC has a wired connection, and the internet doesn't work sometimes when I first boot the PC. Internet throughout the rest of the house is fine. I'd say about every other day (or every other boot) I have this problem. Let me know if/what specs you'd like posted.

Running the Windows 10 troubleshooter always fixes the issue pretty quickly, and at the completed troubleshooting window I get:

Problems found
"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Always the same message.

I've looked through the forums a bit, but didn't find an answer to my issue. Help is much appreciated. Thanks!

robax91

Distinguished
I would try two things (they don't take much time and are low effort):

1. Find your motherboard's manufacturer support page and download your network driver and reinstall it (also reset it to default settings). Sometimes this fixes errors, if nothing else you might get a newer version with less bugs.

2. Reset your router to factory settings. This one can be a hassle if you've set up a ton of port forwarding or other specialized things in the settings, but for most people, the only changes they make is setting a new admin/pass and creating a WiFi password. Also check to see if there are any firmware updates. After reset and firmware update, unplug your router's power from the wall for about ten minutes. Do the same for your modem as well, both will power cycle and your network might refresh with your ISP, possibly fixing any other issues.

Hope these help, if it's a more advanced issue, reinstalling windows or performing a "windows repair" using the disk usually does the trick, but can be very time consuming (having to save and move data and re-setup on the entire pc) and should be a last resort.

MrMario

Honorable
Aug 11, 2015
Thanks for the response!

As if my PC heard me tattling on it, the internet has been starting up without issue since I made the post.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If/when the issue occurs again I will give your suggestions a shot and update the post. Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS