Question "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Hi guys, I'm having a very annoying issue with my internet and I'd like to get some ideas on how to fix them.

So generally, my internet is not always very stable, and I'm having hard time understanding why exactly, I am connected directly to the router.

For example just recently, no one in my home had internet connection, I was able to connect to the local area connection, but had no internet access, after trying windows diagose I got the following results:
9ZxYbpj.png

So after setting up my ipv4 settings manually like so:
Ef4iXG3.png

I do have internet connection, still, I find it very weird as the "Obtain an IP address automatically" should pretty much do that...
Wanted to check the DHCP settings in my router settings, but it seems like even though I do have internet connection now, I'm still unable to reach the router(trying to access using 192.168.1.1).

I am able to ping and tracert to 192.168.1.1, and in ipconfig it does display 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway.

So a few questions now:
Why does it happen at all? How is that possible that I'm unable to get IP configurations automatically? What can I do to fix that?
Why can't I reach the router's settings even though I have internet connection, and the default gateway is 192.168.1.1?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
If you can't get into the router configuration page it sounds like the router is messed up. First step is of course to reboot it. If that doesn't work do a factory reset on it and it pretty much has to let you in. It may run fine after this or if it has some hardware bug it may fail again. You can check for a firmware update.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
If you can't get into the router configuration page it sounds like the router is messed up. First step is of course to reboot it. If that doesn't work do a factory reset on it and it pretty much has to let you in. It may run fine after this or if it has some hardware bug it may fail again. You can check for a firmware update.

Well yes I've done that, and after doing that the manual settings didn't work and only the automatic settings worked. The thing is, before I got home my brother told me that he tried to reset the router multiple times with no success....I woner if the issue is the router, the ISP, or the internet infrastructure provider. What would you bet on?

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
You should be able to disconnect the router from the internet and be able to configure it......I will assume this is not a router the ISP prevents you from accessing.

The router could have just failed and you need to buy a new one.

It is a new router though, just moved to a new internet provider(both infastructure and ISP).
Doesn't mean it can't be faulty, but I believe it's not hardware issues.

I do have internet connection, still, I find it very weird as the "Obtain an IP address automatically" should pretty much do that...
Not weird. DHCP service could be disabled on your router. Also router may have hanged and needs reboot.

Wanted to check the DHCP settings in my router settings, but it seems like even though I do have internet connection now, I'm still unable to reach the router(trying to access using 192.168.1.1).
Access to router management page can be limited to specific MAC addresses. So - you can access it only from specified device (not your pc).

Why does it happen at all? How is that possible that I'm unable to get IP configurations automatically? What can I do to fix that?
Why can't I reach the router's settings even though I have internet connection, and the default gateway is 192.168.1.1?
Somebody could have hacked your router. Reset router settings or get a new router.

Somebody could have hacked your router. Reset router settings or get a new router.
Not to sound alarmist, but....
This was EXTREMELY rare in the past--no matter how much you heard people claim that their routers had been hacked--but it is now on the increase, and should not be discounted as a factor.

Best practices in new router set-up would include:
Configuring the router while not connected to the WAN, and with WiFi disabled.
Limit router configuration access to wired connections only--better still limited to a specific MAC address.
Protected with a well-crafted password and, if possible, a different administrator login name.
Apply all router firmware updates before connecting the router to the WAN.
Disallow remote administration of the router.
If you allow WiFi connections, use WPA2 security, at minimum, and use MAC filtering.
Change the SSID, and don't broadcast it.
Keep a copy of the latest router firmware on a flash drive, to allow for re-flashing, in the future (just tape it to the top of the router).

Check router log files regularly for "oddities".

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Not weird. DHCP service could be disabled on your router. Also router may have hanged and needs reboot.

Access to router management page can be limited to specific MAC addresses. So - you can access it only from specified device (not your pc).

Dude that's extremely paranoid....

My DHCP is on, there is no way I can't access the router as I've done it hundread of times, I am the one who manages the router, and everything is configured just normally as almost any other router is.

Not to sound alarmist, but....
This was EXTREMELY rare in the past--no matter how much you heard people claim that their routers had been hacked--but it is now on the increase, and should not be discounted as a factor.

Best practices in new router set-up would include:
Configuring the router while not connected to the WAN, and with WiFi disabled.
Limit router configuration access to wired connections only--better still limited to a specific MAC address.
Protected with a well-crafted password and, if possible, a different administrator login name.
Apply all router firmware updates before connecting the router to the WAN.
Disallow remote administration of the router.
If you allow WiFi connections, use WPA2 security, at minimum, and use MAC filtering.
Change the SSID, and don't broadcast it.
Keep a copy of the latest router firmware on a flash drive, to allow for re-flashing, in the future (just tape it to the top of the router).

Check router log files regularly for "oddities".

I tried looking at the router logs, but there's nothing much there.
Everything is generally as you said except for the wifi, which must be enabled with WPA2 ofc, and MAC filtering which I really don't think is necessary.

I'd love if you could think of the situation as everything is ok hardware wise and configuration wise, what else would you suspect that could cause this issue?

Thanks.

If you are sure it is not the router then it must be your PC. Since you can pass traffic through the router and DHCP works means the network is fundamentally correct. DHCP actually requires your machine to tell the route you accept the ip address so it means your pc can talk to the router at some level.

I would try a different web browser. You could also clear all the cookies and stored data and see if that helps.

Maybe try a different device and see if you can get access.

Hmmmmmm......might check your hosts file and see if something is wrong there....

....and yeah, as Bill suggests....a cache clear might help things along.

I have had a couple occasions where I've had to uninstall and reinstall a browser to clear up specific problems, sooooo..... don't discount that as a possible solution, too.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
If you are sure it is not the router then it must be your PC. Since you can pass traffic through the router and DHCP works means the network is fundamentally correct. DHCP actually requires your machine to tell the route you accept the ip address so it means your pc can talk to the router at some level.

I would try a different web browser. You could also clear all the cookies and stored data and see if that helps.

Maybe try a different device and see if you can get access.

The thing is when I had the issue no one had internet at home, and I tried setting the ipv4 settings manually on both my and my brother's PC and it worked, but no access to the router settings on both.
Also tried different browsers. Seems like sometimes the network is randomly crashing for minutes, or hours...