Local Area Connection doesn't have valid IP configuration/Default Gateway not available

RedYugoBandit

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Yes, this is an old problem that I've read about many times on this site and several others and tried just about every fix/suggestion I've seen. Nothing has kept it from happening every couple of days. I'm NOT an IT pro, far from it, but have learned an awful lot in the last 3 years. I even put a new HDD in my desktop recently, something I would have thought 3 years ago that I'd have as much chance of accomplishing as a liver transplant.

When I call my ISP tech line after losing internet connection they usually walk me through to the point that I end up on black cmd screen (as administrator) and when I enter IPCONFIG it shows - Autoconfiguration IPv4 address that starts with 169 - and the tech says, "that is it looking at itself" and after going through IPCONFIG/RELEASE and then IPCONFIG/RENEW - I get a valid address like 24.176.129.37 and everything is fine for a day or two until it happens all over again.

It seems as though this problem must be unique to Windows 7 since while my desktop was down and installing a new HDD I had borrowed an old laptop from a friend that had Windows Vista and I had no problems of this kind for a full month. I also wonder if this has something to do with the "Autoconfiguaration" Any thoughts on this?