[SOLVED] Local Area Network setup using 1 Router Many Repeaters (in parallel)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2020
I intend to set up local access to one of my computer over wifi (no internet).
I have couple of Wavlink AC1200 dual band wifi range extenders (which can work as Router/Repeater/AP).
One of the Wavlink unit (in router mode) is connected to local computer via LAN cable. Other Wavlink units (in repeater mode) are connected to Router over wifi. Each repeater has different SSID and is positively connected to router.
My issue is that I cannot see main computer on network when connected to repeaters. However I can access and share with the main computer when connected to router via wifi.
Router wifi signal strength is good at points where repeaters are placed.
Operating System: Windows 10 (1903)
Schematic Diagram is as follows
Rp1-----Router---Rp2
xxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxx Rp3
I had tested this system with 2 units of same Wavliink AC1200 (1 repeater 1 router) earlier and it was working fine. I am not sure what might have changed as system was working fine couple of days ago in 1 router 1repeater mode. Only thing that has changed (other than addition of 2 extra units in repeater mode) is that I have moved the main computer and router to newer location for better signal strength to all the repeaters.
Can any one guide me in the right direction to find a possible solution.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Although it is somewhat confusing I suspect it is the standard 2 router NAT problem.

Both because the data you post shows 2 IP ranges and I think your diagram means you do

ISP router------some network-----router--pc

The problem in this configuration is the same as why people on the internet can not get to your stuff unless you setup port forwarding rules. The second router WAN is using a IP from the main router but your PC is using a IP from the LAN port of the second router.

With just a single device you can use the DMZ option to solve most your problems. The key issue you will still have is you must access this pc using the IP assigned to the wan of the second router.

Thing like microsoft network discovery will not work...
Jan 3, 2020
Hi,

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay in replying. Here is the resullt of ipconfig /all as suggested.

ipconfig /all results of Main PC (Connected to router with LAN cable)
Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
DHCP Enabled Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes
IPv4 Address 192.168.10.100(Preferred)
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 0.0.0.0
DHCP Server 192.168.10.1
DNS Servers 192.168.10.1

ipconfig /all results from client PC (Connected to wireless network of router <rt.n>)
Wireless LAN Adapter Wireless Network Connection 6:
DHCP Enabled Yes
IPv4 Address 192.168.10.104(Preferred)
Default Gateway 192.168.10.1
DHCP Server 192.168.10.1
DNS Servers 192.168.10.1

ipconfig /all results from client PC (Connected to wireless network of repeater <rp.b.rt.n>)
DHCP Enabled Yes
IPv4 Address 192.168.11.100(Preferred)
Default Gateway 192.168.11.102
DHCP Server 192.168.11.102
DNS Servers 192.168.11.102

ipconfig /all results from client PC (Connected to wireless network of repeater <rp.d.rt.n>)
DHCP Enabled Yes
IPv4 Address 192.168.11.101(Preferred)
Default Gateway 192.168.11.104
DHCP Server 192.168.11.104
DNS Servers 192.168.11.103

I tried changing IP Addresses of the repeaters using web browser but they always revert back to previous values.

Although it is somewhat confusing I suspect it is the standard 2 router NAT problem.

Both because the data you post shows 2 IP ranges and I think your diagram means you do

ISP router------some network-----router--pc

The problem in this configuration is the same as why people on the internet can not get to your stuff unless you setup port forwarding rules. The second router WAN is using a IP from the main router but your PC is using a IP from the LAN port of the second router.

With just a single device you can use the DMZ option to solve most your problems. The key issue you will still have is you must access this pc using the IP assigned to the wan of the second router.

Thing like microsoft network discovery will not work since that must be on the same lan subnet and will not pass a router. You can just type in the wan ip of the second router and it will work.

This mess is why it is not recommended for home users to have mulitple routers. Generally there is no reason to run this way and the people that actually need some kind of network separation understand this issue and use actual routers rather than the boxes called router you buy in the consumer store.

Note if your goal is to prevent 1 machine from having internet access all you do is leave the DNS and gateway fields blank in the nic configuration. Since the gateway is what lets your PC know where the router is if you don't tell it then it has no way to leave the local lan.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 3, 2020
Hi,
I suspect maybe my issue is not fully understood so let me reiterate my question for better understanding. I have 4 units of wavlink AC1200 each unit has got selector switch which allows using it as Router/Repeater/AP.
I do not intend to use the system for accessing internet but only for Local Area Network.
I have set one of the units as router (using selector switch) Let's call it rtn. rtn is connected to PC0 (acting as server) via LAN cable.
Other 3 units are set in repeater mode (using slelector switch). Let's call these units rpa, rpb & rpc. Repeaters are connected to router (rtn) wirelessly
When another PC let's call it PC1 is connected to rtn (via wifi) i can access PC0. However when PC1 is connected to either of rpa, rpb or rpc (via wifi) I am not able to access PC0.

Your results show two different subnets 192.168.10.x and 192.168.11.x Your repeater is acting like a router. You need to check the config and see if it can be just a repeater without NAT.
Yes rpa, rpb and rpc are showing different subnets but repeaters are not acting like routers as I checked the login pages for each repater individually and it is showing to be in repeater mode. I tried to change DHCP IP address for these repeaters within the range of rtn DHCP, but they either revert back to their original setting or become inaccessible. Also I have noticed that status page shows Device IP to be 192.168.11.1 while WAN IP is 192.168.10.103. Both DHCP and Internet has been set to auto-configuration mode. DHCP range for router (rtn) is from 192.168.10.100 to 192.168.10.200.
There is no option of configuring/checking NAT status in the login page.
Kindly suggest if there is some other way to check NAT status.

Schematic Diagram is as follows
<><><><><><><><><><><><> -Wireless--RPA (Repeater)--Wireless--PC1 (Client)
<><><><><><><><><><><><>|
PC0 (Server)--Wired--RTN (Router)--Wireless--RPB (Repeater)--Wireless--PC2 (Client)
<><><><><><><><><><><><> --Wireless--RPC (Repeater)--Wireless--PC3 (Client)

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS