local computer can't reach company website using internal network but can reach it using external network

May 7, 2018
HELLO GOOD AFTERNOON,
Hello Good morning my name is Mark please I have issues with our dns server, if I try to browse the company website within our network the web page won't open but it's opening on an external networks. the following are the steps taken to resolve the issue but won't work:
nslookup
flush and register dns
checked IIS
checked Host records
checked host file
clean browser cache
restart server yet it won't resolve.
although it opens on the dns server, but another server host the AD, the AD server was formally used as the dns server, we set up another existing server as the dns server yet the issue won't resolve. please I need help on this

Solution
It is likely because your router does not support the concept of hairpin nat. You are likely using the external public ip addresses rather than the internal private ip addresses. So your traffic goes to the router since it is a public IP it is sent to the internet.....the problem is it just happens to be the public ip of the router itself. Unless the router recognizes this problem the connection will not work. The router either has this feature or it does not. Most times it is not even documented. Even if it does this is not the optimum since the internal traffic is putting load on the router.

If you have a internal DNS server you could put entries in that point to the internal IP rather than the external ones. The other...
Mark, just checking them without taking any additional steps wont help.
- Is your web server connected to the internal network? Who is managing it?
- On internal network, does DNS properly resolves the company web server to the address where it is connected?

There are way to many problems here, and if you are not the person responsible for your company' IT, let the person responsible for it deal with it. And if it is you responsible - hire a consultant to can resolve it, and train you.

It is likely because your router does not support the concept of hairpin nat. You are likely using the external public ip addresses rather than the internal private ip addresses. So your traffic goes to the router since it is a public IP it is sent to the internet.....the problem is it just happens to be the public ip of the router itself. Unless the router recognizes this problem the connection will not work. The router either has this feature or it does not. Most times it is not even documented. Even if it does this is not the optimum since the internal traffic is putting load on the router.

If you have a internal DNS server you could put entries in that point to the internal IP rather than the external ones. The other hack that works is to put entries in the host file on the machine that over ride the DNS and point to the private ip rather than the public ones.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS