Local Disk vs. Disk 0

amaloy10

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018
I still have 436 GB of space on my Local Disk, but in Task Manager, I am almost always at 100% and makes my PC very slow. Do they have any correlation? Is there a way to decrease the Disk 0 percentage?

For those who were wondering, THIS is what I'm talking about

AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Geforce GTX 1050 Ti Graphics Card

Edit - This may help (I don't know) but this started happening when I started playing Assassin's Creed Syndicate. My PC wasn't good enough for it, so ACS started lagging badly. I checked Ubisoft Support, and they said I needed a new graphics card. I ordered the Geforce GTX 1050. While waiting for my card to arrive, I played other games that used to run smoothly before, but now the 100% disk thing is happening, even after I installed my new graphics card. Other than the 100% disk, ACS is running smoother with my new card.

Solution

That shows that your system has a 5 GB limit on the size of your page file. The system uses the page file for basically two tasks:
1. When whatever program you are using requires more ram than is available. The OS will "swap" allocated but not currently in use memory to the page file, and swap it back into ram when needed.
2. to put diagnostic data in the event of a crash.

You might try checking the "Automatically manage paging file size" box and then reboot. See if you have the same issues.

What hard drive do you have, and how is it partitioned?

amaloy10

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018

I have a Seagate ST1000dM003 hard drive.

According to MSInfo, my partitions are (I don't know what they mean)

Partition Disk #0, Partition #0
Partition Size 350.00 MB (367,001,600 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 1,048,576 bytes
Partition Disk #0, Partition #1
Partition Size 930.73 GB (999,363,182,592 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 368,050,176 bytes
Partition Disk #0, Partition #2
Partition Size 450.00 MB (471,859,200 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 999,731,232,768 bytes

amaloy10

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018

I constantly check my Task Manager for things that are using up my disk, but all it every is is "System". Whenever I launch a game after a few minutes it just jumps up to 99%-100% for no reason. Even sometimes when I'm just on Chrome.

As Chrome is a notorious memory hog, known for not releasing ram when it is finished with it, especially if you have several tabs open, I suspect that it is causing a greater than normal usage of the page or swap file on your HDD.

Go into advanced settings and check your virtual memory settings.
( I have never used Win8, so I am not sure exactly how you would do this.)

amaloy10

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018

This is my virtual memory and I have no idea what this is supposed to show me

That shows that your system has a 5 GB limit on the size of your page file. The system uses the page file for basically two tasks:
1. When whatever program you are using requires more ram than is available. The OS will "swap" allocated but not currently in use memory to the page file, and swap it back into ram when needed.
2. to put diagnostic data in the event of a crash.

You might try checking the "Automatically manage paging file size" box and then reboot. See if you have the same issues.

Solution